Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Disk not ejected properly

21.5" iMac running latest ios. Seagate external drive for backup. Seagate had an update recently that required ejecting the drive. I ejected the drive, it no longer showed on the desktop, and unplugged the drive. Restarted the iMac and plugged in the drive. Now I get messages about the External drive not properly ejected. Finer shows the drive and the proper contents. Any ideas why I would be getting these messages? Thanks.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 13, 2022 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2022 11:53 AM

Okay, that is good news. If the TM drive is working okay now and TM is backing up then you can just call it a day. If you continue to get "External Disk not ejected properly" messages, please let us know.

Similar questions

15 replies

May 13, 2022 10:59 AM in response to GTR81

Please uninstall ALL Seagate software from the drive. Not only is it 100% unnecessary it tends to cause problems like you are experiencing. Please restart in Safe Mode per the directions below:

Please restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in the  How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support link.

Note: If you are using a wireless keyboard please either plug it in using the supplied Lightning cable that shipped with it. If you are using a legacy keyboard or a third-party keyboard that does not have re-charging abilities, please use any USB keyboard. Also note that a Safe Mode restart may require you to hold down the shift key for up to 5 minutes before the computer starts in Safe Mode. You will know it is in Safe Mode when you see “Safe Mode” in the upper right of the display.

Next, please restart normally and please retest.

May 14, 2022 9:36 AM in response to rkaufmann87

1. Buss powered by USB port.
  2. It is plugged into a port on the back of the iMac.
  3. "Show screen saver after 20 minutes" is checked. In the "Energy Saver" window, Turn off display after: 30 minutes; Prevent mac from automatically sleeping is NOT checked; Put hard disk to sleep when possible IS checked; Wake up for network access IS checked; Start up automatically after power failure is NOT checked; Enable power nap is NOT checked.

Let me know if there are more settings to investigate. Thanks

May 14, 2022 9:50 AM in response to GTR81

1. I NEVER recommend buss powered drives. If you can get a power supply for it, do so or replace it with a higher quality External Hard Disk such as an OWC Mercury Elite Pro.
  2. Uncheck the "Put hard disk to sleep when possible IS checked"

Bottom line is the issue is almost certainly due to the drive being a buss powered drive and your settings. When it comes to external HD's buy quality, please don't be penny wise and pound foolish. A quality enclosure and HD will pay you back in reliability and longevity.

External Disk not ejected properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.