Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

os monterey 12.3.1 disk space not being released

since my HD has been running low on space recently, I have started to move large files to an external drive and have removed at least 60gb of space.

however, disk util as well as finder still indicate the same amount of free disk space before the deletion. (64 gb free space).

reboot doesn't help.

I have a MBP 13" 2017 model with a 1TB flash disk.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 13, 2022 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2022 11:12 PM

hi.

thanks for your reply and good input. after doing some more research I found out that it was carbon copy cloner delaying the "releasing" process due to its snapshot history. After I've deleted the oldest snapshots, free space skyrocketed again.

so, problem solved.

3 replies

May 13, 2022 2:19 PM in response to imyself

Start by Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac. This may take some time especially at you say the drive was getting very low on Empty Space.

Thereafter more suggestions

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other/ System Data “ Category

Other / System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

os monterey 12.3.1 disk space not being released

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.