Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Free HD space

Trash: Recently upgraded fromLion to El Capitan and deleted 60GB of my files into Trash and Emptied Trash. However the expected increase in disk space did not occur and still shows only 95GB available. (I tried to upgrade to High Sierra this morning and it told me I did not have enough free space that is why I deleted all the files). The trash folder shows empty so why no increase in disk space?

I did try the one suggestion that indicated to "control click" on the HD but no "Manage storage" was included in the drop down box.

Can anyone shed some light on how to rectify this issue?

Thank you, Malcolm

MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on May 2, 2020 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2020 11:03 PM

The Storage section of the About This Mac are frequently incorrect.

It could be an indication that your Spotlight index needs rebuilding, please read this article.

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac – Apple Support

As you want to rebuild the entire macs Spotlight Index then move the icon for your hard drive

in to the Privacy panel. Quit System Preferences. Open System Preferences, highlight your

hard drive in the Privacy panel and click the minus button. This should force the mac to start

re indexing. To check type click on the Spotlight icon on the menubar and type in any word

if the mac is re indexing you should see a progress bar under the word you typed in.,

let it finish. Then check to see if the Storage details have changed.

Let me know how you get on.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2020 11:03 PM in response to orangbor

The Storage section of the About This Mac are frequently incorrect.

It could be an indication that your Spotlight index needs rebuilding, please read this article.

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac – Apple Support

As you want to rebuild the entire macs Spotlight Index then move the icon for your hard drive

in to the Privacy panel. Quit System Preferences. Open System Preferences, highlight your

hard drive in the Privacy panel and click the minus button. This should force the mac to start

re indexing. To check type click on the Spotlight icon on the menubar and type in any word

if the mac is re indexing you should see a progress bar under the word you typed in.,

let it finish. Then check to see if the Storage details have changed.

Let me know how you get on.

Free HD space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.