Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reinstall time machine

I finally isolated the cause of my loss of files and operational malfunctions on my iMac. I have a tech services guy coming on Tuesday to try to recapture the lost files but in the meantime I have a question.

First a quick description: My time machine was quitting every time it tried to back up my files. This caused things like interruptions to any Apple TV movie I was watching with the result that I could not restart the movie. Do I have to buy a new time machine app or is there a means of reloading a clean version from the software that is already on the iMac?

Please let me know

Tom T.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 13, 2022 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2022 3:40 PM

Time Machine is built into the operating system, so there is nothing to purchase or replace with regard to it. When Time Machine is backing up, it places addtiional CPU and Storage demand on your startup drive, so it would not be unusual for videos to lag while it is running.

An older TIme Machine drive, or one that has been umounted without proper Finder ejection can have corruption issues that prevent a proper backup. In System Preferences > Time Machine, switch it off temporarily while you launch Disk Utility, locate the Time Machine drive in that sidebar, and then perform First Aid on the drive. If you don't receive a green First Aid result, note the error, and perform First Aid again on the drive.

Depending on the age of your Mac, it might be better to have someone from the nearest Apple Store, or Apple Authorized Service Center look at it rather than a generic "tech services guy" that may not know what they are doing with macOS, and dig you deeper into a hole.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2022 3:40 PM in response to tomtweed

Time Machine is built into the operating system, so there is nothing to purchase or replace with regard to it. When Time Machine is backing up, it places addtiional CPU and Storage demand on your startup drive, so it would not be unusual for videos to lag while it is running.

An older TIme Machine drive, or one that has been umounted without proper Finder ejection can have corruption issues that prevent a proper backup. In System Preferences > Time Machine, switch it off temporarily while you launch Disk Utility, locate the Time Machine drive in that sidebar, and then perform First Aid on the drive. If you don't receive a green First Aid result, note the error, and perform First Aid again on the drive.

Depending on the age of your Mac, it might be better to have someone from the nearest Apple Store, or Apple Authorized Service Center look at it rather than a generic "tech services guy" that may not know what they are doing with macOS, and dig you deeper into a hole.

May 14, 2022 9:06 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for your complete and completely understandable instructions. I think I have destroyed the last two WD external drives I purchased by not doing what you call proper finder ejection. I always assumed that once you plugged the drive in you were good to go and you could leave it working through boot ups, restarts and shutdowns. So is it proper procedure to start up the computer, turn on time machine let it run for regular backups but unmount it before shutting down or restarting? Does it miss copying work that is created on the computer while it is not engaged?

Please advise

May 20, 2022 10:36 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hello Viking OSX, I am of Norwegian descent and appreciate things "Viking", As an aside, do you know about the site Sons of Vikings?

But I digress. My reason for being in touch with you again is that you were right about generic service techs and now after three no-shows, I am thinking about trying to solve my most pressing problem myself. When the crash occurred, I lost all of my contacts on my iMac. I still have the complete list on my iPhone, but I can't figure out to copy/transfer that list to my iMac. Can you suggest a way to do this?

Tom

[Edited by Moderator]

reinstall time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.