Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting pictures from iphone but not Mac

I have an iPhone, iPad and just got my first Macbook Pro. I want to be able to continuously have new pictures added to my Mac photo library and iCloud but be able to delete them from my phone only. If I create a new folder and copy my library into that folder, and add new pictures manually as needed if I then delete the picture from my phone will it only delete it from the library of the phone and mac, but leave the copy I made in the new folder I created?

Posted on May 13, 2022 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2022 12:59 AM

No that will not work.

iCloud will ensure that all devices are having the same fotos.

New photos will be loaded to iCloud and then distribute to all other devices, but also all deleted Photos will be deleted from iCloud and all other devices. Also all modifications will be synced between the iCloud and your devices.

Please have a look at this Apple page.

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

If you select "Select Optimize iPhone Storage" on your iPhone / iPad that original photos (full resolution) will be on iCloud and smaller versions will be synced with iPhone / iPad.

You still have all your photos on all devices, but if you have not sufficiently space on your cell phone you get only smaller versions.

As soon as you edit then the original photo will be loaded.

On my iCloud I have currently 60GB photos & videos, but on my iPhone it is only 6GB.

Your MacBook should always have original photos in full resolution, only then the originals will be saved with Time Machine backup!

Ralf

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2022 12:59 AM in response to CMS2180

No that will not work.

iCloud will ensure that all devices are having the same fotos.

New photos will be loaded to iCloud and then distribute to all other devices, but also all deleted Photos will be deleted from iCloud and all other devices. Also all modifications will be synced between the iCloud and your devices.

Please have a look at this Apple page.

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

If you select "Select Optimize iPhone Storage" on your iPhone / iPad that original photos (full resolution) will be on iCloud and smaller versions will be synced with iPhone / iPad.

You still have all your photos on all devices, but if you have not sufficiently space on your cell phone you get only smaller versions.

As soon as you edit then the original photo will be loaded.

On my iCloud I have currently 60GB photos & videos, but on my iPhone it is only 6GB.

Your MacBook should always have original photos in full resolution, only then the originals will be saved with Time Machine backup!

Ralf

May 14, 2022 5:00 AM in response to Ralf-F

Thank you for replying! The other thing I do is upload my photos to Shutterfly all the time, so at least I still have them there. I just hate that you can't delete from one device and leave it on the other. I am new to Mac so maybe that's just something I have to get used to. If I use an external hard drive and copy all my pictures over there, that would keep them safe if I delete them from my apple products right? I will check out that Apple page you sent as well!

May 15, 2022 8:49 AM in response to CMS2180

Yes, if you have a copy of your photos an an external drive they are not linked to the iCloud.

Therefore they will not be updated, deleted or anything else.

But also if you do modifications / improvements to your photos in your Apple system the copies on your external drive will not get these improvements / modifications. They are just independent files with not connecting to the rest of the system.

Deleting pictures from iphone but not Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.