You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting video to work through an HDMI connection

Hello! Users have asked this before but the answers have been completely unsatisfying:

When I plug my macbook air M1 into an external monitor (an LG television, in this case) using an HDMI connection, it works fine EXCEPT it cannot stream video from online. Youtube, Netflix, HBO, etc, do not work. The videos buffer weirdly, the sound becomes distorted, the videos jump around but ultimately do not play correctly.

Yes, the monitor works correctly otherwise. Yes, I have checked my display settings. Yes, the monitor works completely fine streaming video from a non-Apple laptop connected via HDMI.

Is there a workaround or setting that I can change? Or is this just an inherent problem with M1 or OS?

Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on May 13, 2022 7:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 13, 2022 8:25 PM

macbookben Said:

"Is there a workaround or setting that I can change? Or is this just an inherent problem with M1 or OS?"

-------

Troubleshooting Monitor Distortion:

I think it is an inherent problem, and has yet to be successfully troubleshot. Frequencies are getting in the way here, and need to be equaled out, so to speak. See my User Tip for Older Macs, when it comes using adapters to get a configuration such as this to work: Configuring a USB-C Only Mac with a 30-Inch Apple Cinema Display - User Tip

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 13, 2022 8:25 PM in response to macbookben

macbookben Said:

"Is there a workaround or setting that I can change? Or is this just an inherent problem with M1 or OS?"

-------

Troubleshooting Monitor Distortion:

I think it is an inherent problem, and has yet to be successfully troubleshot. Frequencies are getting in the way here, and need to be equaled out, so to speak. See my User Tip for Older Macs, when it comes using adapters to get a configuration such as this to work: Configuring a USB-C Only Mac with a 30-Inch Apple Cinema Display - User Tip

Getting video to work through an HDMI connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.