Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps" for iPod - Where stored? Kow long does it take? Limit to calculation?

When iTunes creates 1298 kbps version for iPod, are they stored in a separate library folder is a " 1" just appended to the file?

I am assuming that on ticking this option iTunes will take a considerable amount of time to create these lower quality versions - does this occur during sync, or does this take place over several days? My experience suggests that using this doesn't give immediate benefits - so I assume the conversion is progressive over a few days/syncs.

Also, once converted, does the "limit to" size apply to the converted size or full quality of the 320 kbps library file?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 14, 2022 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2022 4:31 AM

I'm not sure that this specific question has ever been asked before, but from my knowledge of iTunes I'll hazard a guess that the conversion is done as iTunes synchronises with the device and that the 128Kbps version is only on the device. iTunes itself retains the original file in its original size. I have no idea how long it would take, for two reasons:

1. I've never tried it
    2. it depends on how much you're adding to the iPod

juzzle wrote:

Also, once converted, does the "limit to" size apply to the converted size or full quality of the 320 kbps library file?

I assume that you're referring to the option in a Smart Playlist. Again, my knowledge of iTunes suggests that the Limit to applies only to what is added to the Playlist itself: so if you set Limit To x GB, iTunes uses the original 320Kbps size as its measure, thereby limiting the Playlist to x GB. The 128Kbps copy is only on the device, not in iTunes. A Playlist is simply that, it is not there to change the file.

There is an option in iTunes to convert files to a smaller size, but that is a separate function, so I won't go into detail about it unless you express an interest.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2022 4:31 AM in response to juzzle

I'm not sure that this specific question has ever been asked before, but from my knowledge of iTunes I'll hazard a guess that the conversion is done as iTunes synchronises with the device and that the 128Kbps version is only on the device. iTunes itself retains the original file in its original size. I have no idea how long it would take, for two reasons:

1. I've never tried it
    2. it depends on how much you're adding to the iPod

juzzle wrote:

I assume that you're referring to the option in a Smart Playlist. Again, my knowledge of iTunes suggests that the Limit to applies only to what is added to the Playlist itself: so if you set Limit To x GB, iTunes uses the original 320Kbps size as its measure, thereby limiting the Playlist to x GB. The 128Kbps copy is only on the device, not in iTunes. A Playlist is simply that, it is not there to change the file.

There is an option in iTunes to convert files to a smaller size, but that is a separate function, so I won't go into detail about it unless you express an interest.

May 15, 2022 5:11 AM in response to juzzle

The conversion is done on the fly. The files are stored on device as .m4a/AAC without an embedded tag. All relevant information is stored only in the devices database. (I know because I wrote some software to recover the metadata after the fact.) If you select Convert higher bit rate songs to 128kbs then existing songs at 128k MP3 or AAC, should be copied as is, but 320k songs would be converted. Once there is a converted copy on the device it shouldn't be updated on the next sync. Again not something I've explicitly tested, or if I did I've forgotten the results, but it may be that existing tracks are left alone when this option is selected and it only applies to newly added content, so you might need to remove and then resync to get the full benefit.

It's not something I've personally tested but limit to rules on a smart playlist would initially be evaluated in the library based on the original size when determining what is in the list, and thus what should be synced. I know iOS devices can recalculate smart playlists, but I'm not certain if that happens on a classic. If so it might only happen on reboot.

tt2

"Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps" for iPod - Where stored? Kow long does it take? Limit to calculation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.