Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swiping between iPad apps on Universal Control

Is there a way to swipe between apps on an iPad using the Magic Mouse while using Universal Control besides using the bar at the bottom of the iPad screen?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 14, 2022 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2022 4:30 AM

Universal Control is still a “beta” feature - and requires a Mac’s Mouse/Trackpad and Keyboard to control other devices.

More information about Universal Control can be found here:

Universal Control: Use a single keyboard and mouse between Mac and iPad - Apple Support

3 replies

May 16, 2022 4:40 PM in response to LotusPilot

As of 5/16/2022 with the release of iOs 15.5 and MacOS 12.4, Universal Control is no longer Beta.

Still, ussing an Apple Magic U.S Keyboard & Magic Mouse on my 13” MacBook Pro (2018), I have yet to find a way to swip between iPad apps with Universal Control to my gen 7 iPa..

Although using a manual 4-finger swipe on the iPad screen still works.

May 16, 2022 7:00 PM in response to bob32

Incidentally -- with iPadOS 15.5 & MacOS 12.4 at least -- if you have a keyboard and an Apple Magic Trackpad 2 on your Mac, the trackpad works as you'd expect as you move the cursor from your Mac over to your iPad with Universal Control.

All the usual Trackpad 2 gestures seem to work over on the iPad ... including: swipe left or right with three fingers to switch between open apps. Although I don't know which (if any) other trackpads this works with.

Trivially: it's okay to attach both a mouse and a trackpad (along with a keyboard) to your Mac at the same time and use the mouse controls interchangeably with trackpad gestures. And yes, all those work on an iPad with Universal Control now. [Some iPad gestures are different between a Mac and an iPad ... but as far as I can tell, Universal Control maintains the differences. In other words: if the cursor is on the Mac, the trackpad acts as any trackpad connected to the Mac would. But when the cursor is on the iPad (after clicking to establish focus if necessary) the trackpad acts as if it were directly connected to the iPad. At least for me, that's intuitively what I expect.

Swiping between iPad apps on Universal Control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.