Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Install OSX on Mac with Corrupted Recovery and -2XXXF Fails on WiFi Recovery?

I have a MacBook Pro A1990 EMC3215 (2018 15", either i7 or i9 [I'm not sure which]). I'm having trouble reinstalling the OS. When I try a fresh install using Command-Option-r via WiFi, I get a -2100F fail code after about an hour. I followed the steps on What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support (ZA) to get a fresh install of the OS. At the "Erase your Mac and reinstall MacOS" step, I followed https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496.

I've tried to boot to recovery mode via Command-r, but the machine only goes to the prompt to enter the WiFi name and password.

I created a bootable USB with Monterey on it. (My other laptop is mid-2012, so I had to download the .pkg from https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-12-monterey-full-installer-database-download-directly-from-apple/.) When I start with the USB plugged in (via a USB to C connector) and hold the Option key, the USB flashes and I do see the Install Monterey option. However when I choose that option, I'm immediately given the WiFi prompt again, and the USB light goes dead. All appearances suggest that the machine is trying a standard WiFi recovery. After about an hour, I see a -2003F fail code.

I suspect the problem is 1) the current boot is corrupted (hence the lack of Recovery Mode) and 2) the "security chip that offers the prevention of external boot media to be used to startup a Mac" as noted in https://osxdaily.com/2021/08/25/mac-wont-boot-bootable-disk-why/. However, that article goes on to describe that deactivating this security feature requires one to boot into Recovery Mode, which I seem unable to access.

I seem to be able to boot up the laptop to act as an external drive by holding t on start. (I get the thunderbolt/USB symbols slowmoving on the screen.) However, when I connect my mid-2012 Catalina laptop using a USB to USB-C connector, I don't see an external drive. (I get a "Cannot Use Thunderbolt Accessory" error when I first try to connect; any further attempts to connect give no error message, but also no connection.) I also don't see an external drive when I connect my 4th gen iPad to the laptop using a USB-C to USB-C connector.

I'll probably go into the office tonight or tomorrow to try a different WiFi connection. (I'm doubtful about this as a solution; I'm currently on a home WiFi connection, which shouldn't be restricted.) I don't have an ethernet to C connector, so ethernet's not a possibility.

I'm currently in South Africa, so taking the laptop in to an Apple store isn't an option.

Any ideas how I might proceed?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 15, 2022 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2022 10:55 AM

For models after about 2012, Internet Recovery is in the computer's ROM. It is extremely unlikely to be corrupted, but if it is, your computer needs service.

In Internet Recovery, these low negative thousands error messages indicate that your provided Wi-Fi Network is inadequate in some fashion, and cannot be used (for this purpose) in its current state.

Common problems include:

Hidden Network-name

required use of a proxy server to get Internet access

required use of a login page to get Internet access

Use of a login server or certificate to get Internet access

Use of PPPoE in the Mac to get Internet access (typically only applies to DSL)

Use of Fixed IP address rather than good old DHCP

Variance of the time by more than five minutes

Failure of Router to provide workable DNS server addresses, or providing 0.0.0.0 [may produce -2002f]

If you have an Ethernet port, you may in some cases be able to move your Mac close to the Router and connect to the Router using Ethernet.

The higher the number, the more obscure the problem.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2022 10:55 AM in response to gte581p

For models after about 2012, Internet Recovery is in the computer's ROM. It is extremely unlikely to be corrupted, but if it is, your computer needs service.

In Internet Recovery, these low negative thousands error messages indicate that your provided Wi-Fi Network is inadequate in some fashion, and cannot be used (for this purpose) in its current state.

Common problems include:

Hidden Network-name

required use of a proxy server to get Internet access

required use of a login page to get Internet access

Use of a login server or certificate to get Internet access

Use of PPPoE in the Mac to get Internet access (typically only applies to DSL)

Use of Fixed IP address rather than good old DHCP

Variance of the time by more than five minutes

Failure of Router to provide workable DNS server addresses, or providing 0.0.0.0 [may produce -2002f]

If you have an Ethernet port, you may in some cases be able to move your Mac close to the Router and connect to the Router using Ethernet.

The higher the number, the more obscure the problem.

May 15, 2022 10:58 AM in response to onlyfallin

Thank you very much for replying.

Unfortunately, neither of these options will work:

I cannot use the app store as the laptop currently doesn't boot.

As I wrote in the original post, I've already created a bootable installer for Monterey, but the laptop won't boot from it, presumably due to a "security feature" that I cannot disable as I cannot boot into recovery mode.

May 15, 2022 11:02 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks, Grant.

It's not the Internet Recovery that appears to be corrupted. Rather, when I hold Command-R at startup, I do not get access to Disk Utility, etc. That's what I mean when I say that I think Recovery Mode is corrupted.

I don't have an ethernet to USB-C connection, so I can't try ethernet.

Let me have dinner then go into the office to try the WiFi there :-/

How to Install OSX on Mac with Corrupted Recovery and -2XXXF Fails on WiFi Recovery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.