Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac doesn't activate the Disk Utility

Hi.

I have Windows installed using Boot Camp and I believe it is related with the issue.

My Mac is a MacBook Pro 2018, model A1990 with chip T2 Security.

My problem is the following:

I went to Disk Utility and erased my hard drive, formatting it as APFS Encrypted.

Then I tried to install the macOS again, but it was not allowed, because the Disk Utility showed a message saying I couldn't install the app in the MacOS partition because it has a password. But it didn't ask me to type the password, it just blocked the SDD drive.

Then I turned off the Mac by the power button. And the nightmare started.

I already reseted the the SMC, NVRAM, used Command + R, Command + S, Shift + Control + Option, turn on the Mac holding Shift, and everything that is available on the forums.

The situation is the Mac doesn't show The Disk Utility or the Startup Manager anymore. The Mac cannot find the MacOS partition.

But I have no issues for starting the computer using the Windows partition (Boot Camp).

The Mac ask by default to make an Internet Recovery, but I tried it many times and it doesn't work, showing always the same message when it finishes: support.apple.com/mac/startup-2100F. This number after the dash (2100F) always change.

I tried a flash drive with a bootable installer, the Mac recognize the drive, but when I chose to install from the flash drive, it drives the Mac to use the Internet Recovery mode automatically, totally ignoring the flash drive. I am about 7 hours trying to fix it, but zero progress.

I attached here what happens step by step. I hope someone can help me.

STEP 1: adm password is required when I turn on the computer

STEP 2: bootable installer

STEP 3: redirect to Internet recovery

STEP 4: Error

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 10:14 AM

brunocf82 wrote:

MacBook Pro 2018,

Thanks for your answer.
It is not possible to do because as I said in the beginning, all the startup commands, including Command + R doesn't work.
I have no access to the The Disk Utility or the Startup Manager. I cannot startup my Mac in OS mode, only Windows mode is working through Boot Camp. I don't have MacOS installed anymore and the Mac doesn't "see" the Macintosh HD. It is like I don't have the Macintosh HD anymore. But when I go to the partition manager in Windows I can see the Mac partition, but I can't do anything from there.

see—

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2022 10:14 AM in response to brunocf82

brunocf82 wrote:

MacBook Pro 2018,

Thanks for your answer.
It is not possible to do because as I said in the beginning, all the startup commands, including Command + R doesn't work.
I have no access to the The Disk Utility or the Startup Manager. I cannot startup my Mac in OS mode, only Windows mode is working through Boot Camp. I don't have MacOS installed anymore and the Mac doesn't "see" the Macintosh HD. It is like I don't have the Macintosh HD anymore. But when I go to the partition manager in Windows I can see the Mac partition, but I can't do anything from there.

see—

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Apr 23, 2022 9:07 AM in response to brunocf82

brunocf82 wrote:

Hi.

I have Windows installed using Boot Camp and I believe it is related with the issue.
My Mac is a MacBook Pro 2018, model A1990 with chip T2 Security.
My problem is the following:

I went to Disk Utility and erased my hard drive, formatting it as APFS Encrypted.
Then I tried to install the macOS again, but it was not allowed, because the Disk Utility showed a message saying I couldn't install the app in the MacOS partition because it has a password. But it didn't ask me to type the password, it just blocked the SDD drive.

See if there is anything here—

About Startup Security Utility on a Mac with the Apple T2 ...

Apr 23, 2022 10:07 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi.

Thanks for your answer.

Apr 23, 2022 11:48 AM in response to Mal-S

Hi Mal-S.

Thanks for your answer. I tried it and it is not possible. From the Disk Management in Windows (Boot Camp) I only can format the Mac partition to exFAT or NTFS. I also tried to restart the computer in Target Disk Mode from Boot Camp Control Panel and use the MacBook as a hard disk, then I would try to format it through the Disk Utility by my Mac mini (as an external disk), but no success. I think we can only use it like a hard drive in another PC and not Mac.

My Mac doesn't activate the Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.