Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase and recovery of my Mac has failed

I wanted to follow the instructions on What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support (PH) which lead me to Erase and reinstall macOS – Apple Support (AU) and followed the instruction under “On an Intel-based Mac without the Apple T2 Security Chip“. I deleted everything I could delete. Then I returned to recovering my macOS, using the instructions on How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support. After agreeing to everything my Mac wanted me to select a disk to install my macOS (Monterey) but I did not have a disk to select. So I restarted my Mac and I have been stuck on this globe screen. I connected it to my WiFi. There was nothing else I could do. So, I restarted and immediately pressed and hold command R(before anything showed on screen), nothing happened, it lead me to the globe screen. I restarted and immediately pressed and hold command option/alt R (before anything showed on screen) and nothing happened, it just lead me to the globe screen. So I couldn’t get into the recovery screen.

Without any option, I decided to wait a few minutes and this screen came on. I opened the link (support.apple.com/mac/startup) which lead me to this website If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support. I then found my problem (Globe with warning symbol) and followed instructions. It lead me to another website (About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support) which told me to “Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold these two keys: Command (⌘) and R. Release the keys when you see an Apple logo, spinning globe, or other startup screen.” I have been doing this but it is still stuck on the globe screen. Nothing is happening.

What should I do?

the picture I took shows:

support.apple.com/mac/startup

-2002f

This is the globe menu (when I start up my Mac) where I can only connect to the internet and nothing else that I can do. When I connect to the internet, the picture above will appear after a few minutes.

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 12:51 PM

It sounds like your drive is erased. If so, go here and install your OS of choice with a bootable flash drive.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Use "Other macOS installation options". The last bullet item is how to make the bootable flash drive.

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 25, 2022 5:41 AM in response to ku4hx

I had to use a bootable usb (I learnt how to make one using this video “https://youtu.be/rgHyvj_nWCU” which was very useful). I was trying to download the MacOS Monterey but I couldn’t find my Macintosh (the SSD). So I used this website: How to reinstall macOS – Apple Support (AU) again.

Since I could not see my SSD/disk, I might need to erase my disk first as the website said. So, I did that using this website: Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac – Apple Support (AU) and realized that I forgot to change the name of the SSD back to Macintosh HD and using the Mac OS Extended (journaled) format (which was recommended in the website but not in my Mac) . After doing so I was able to find the SSD (Macintosh HD) and start installing the MacOS Monterey.

Im not sure if the problem was to do with the format of the SSD (Macintosh HD) which was APFS or the name of the SSD which was named as “APPLE SSD SM0128G MEDIA”.

Erase and recovery of my Mac has failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.