Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini 2018 bricked after updating to 11.2.3 what to do now?

After downloading 11.2.3 update my Mac Mini crashed and could not load the disk to boot. I have tried recovery but it would not pop up and kept directing me to Internet recovery, which also failed. I then successfully created bootable USB with Mojave using the terminal line and plugged it into the machine, holding ALT while the machine was booting did show my USB but when I selected it, it would force itself internet recovery mode without fail. This wouldn't be a big problem if the internet recovery would work as for some reason when all this started going on it would ask for the wifi, progress to the spinning globe, and fail with the error " support.apple.com/mac/startup -1008F"

In the end I was able to go into safemode and use Disk Utility to try to repair the drives as someone on here mentioned that it might be because of a lost or destroyed boot partition, probably damaged from update. I was able to repair all but the main HDD drive as it gave me an error preventing me from repairing it. That error was

" Checking prerequisites

Checking the partition list

Checking the partition map size

Checking for an EFI system partition

Checking the EFI system partition’s size

Checking the EFI system partition’s file system

Checking the EFI system partition’s folder content

Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting

Couldn’t mount disk. : (-69842)

Operation failed…

With no other options I could think of I decided to go back into safemode and download Big Sur from the app store. I applied the OS and the PC restarted. Giving me a screen with a circle with a line through it. I held the power button turned the machine off and restarted it and this time the apple logo popped up with a progress bar, this took around 20 minutes but I was able to successfully return to my normal desktop. Upon login in I was greeted by a pop up error saying "Panic Medic Boot, A third party kernel extension was preventing the machine from successfully booting. All third party kernel extensions have been disabled . You will be prompted to reenable them in Security and Privacy system preference as they are used.

I looked online at other forums and to my knowledge came down to either a virus or some program messing the computer up. I downloaded a program called Etrecheck as advised by them and do a scan. I will be posting the log result in the additional info alongside anything that popped up.

My question and main reason for posting this is now that I have full access to my machine again should I attempt a full reinstall of MacOS because of the problems Or is there something I can do to fix this all together. Quite frankly I'm afraid of booting off my machine and it being stuck in that loop of turning on and restarting.

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 7:10 AM

Jseo95,

We're glad that helped. You should be able to go ahead and use your Mac mini as normal, not unless you'd prefer to do a reinstall for your device. If you use software or devices with your Mac mini, you'll want to make sure those are fully updated both for software or firmware (if applicable). You'll also want to make sure that your Mac mini is only running 64-bit apps since 32-bit apps are no longer able to run since macOS Mojave: 32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later

Take care!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2021 7:10 AM in response to Jseo95

Jseo95,

We're glad that helped. You should be able to go ahead and use your Mac mini as normal, not unless you'd prefer to do a reinstall for your device. If you use software or devices with your Mac mini, you'll want to make sure those are fully updated both for software or firmware (if applicable). You'll also want to make sure that your Mac mini is only running 64-bit apps since 32-bit apps are no longer able to run since macOS Mojave: 32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later

Take care!

Mar 16, 2021 9:53 AM in response to Jseo95

Hey Jseo95,

It appears you're wondering if its okay to reinstall macOS again after the issues you've encountered. Before updating or upgrading, you'll want to go into macOS Recovery and run First Aid again in Disk Utility to make sure everything comes back okay: How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility We understand that you did this before in safe mode, but in safe mode or when starting a Mac regularly, you can't repair the startup disk as you need to be in macOS Recovery to do that. If an issue is found, have Disk Utility try to repair it. If no issues were found or were repaired, you can then try upgrading macOS again.

Take care!

Mar 16, 2021 5:46 PM in response to jeremy_v

Hey Jeremy thanks for the reply.

So I did as you followed without a hitch, does that mean once I did the disk repairs again I can use the machine as normal or would recommend a fresh reinstall? I had someone point out in the error logs that the one of the problems that could've caused the machine to corrupt was a Logitech and Wacom kernels/software.

Mac Mini 2018 bricked after updating to 11.2.3 what to do now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.