Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly my Mac decided to brick itself...

My Mac was running Big Sur happily and one day after a reboot I got the "A critical software update is required for your Mac, but an error was encountered while installing this update. Your Mac can't be used until this update is installed." error message and the Touch Bar was not working anymore. Selecting "Try Again" is not doing anything useful, just throws another error. A software update wasn't running at that moment. I tried everything I could find online and also spoke with apple support, SMC/NVRAM reset, erased disks and reinstalled multiple times. The system will boot in safe-mode but still no Touch Bar/backlit and many issues while trying to log in to iCloud. By reinstalling and migrating from my old system I was able to login in normal mode but still without Touch Bar and many iCloud connectivity issues. My networks have no proxy/firewall.

I tried to send the logs to my local Apple support but they preferred to not get involved and suggest a trip to the support centre. There is a bridge_restore.log file with a lot of useful information like,

Begin Embedded OS Restore

Timed out waiting for a device to be connected

"Timed out waiting for a device to be connected.\" UserInfo={NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=The device failed to go into DFU mode after forcing DFU. Please ensure the EFI Boot ROM is up to date., NSLocalizedDescription=Timed out waiting for a device to be connected.}, client=loginwindow (pid = 135, uid = 0, path = \/System\/Library\/CoreServices\/loginwindow.app\/Contents\/MacOS\/loginwindow)\n2021-09-12 17:28:38.667\tDiagnostic summary: Restore ((null) -> (null) ((null)), preflighted = 0, prod fused = (null), user auth = 0, retries = 1, after boot failure = 1, failing phase

To me this seems like a software/firmware issue an I would like some help investigating the issue.

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 4:36 PM

This usually indicates a problem related to the Touchbar. You will need to get the laptop repaired. Usually it will involve needing to replace the Top Case/Keyboard/Touchbar Assembly and/or the Logic Board, but I have also fixed the problem by replacing the Display Assembly (most likely due to the Camera which is somehow interfering with the Touchbar). Even when the hardware issue is resolved the laptop will need to connect to the Internet in order to download the EmbeddedOS image file.

In the mean time you can boot into Safe Mode to continue using the laptop in a limited fashion until the laptop can be repaired. It will also allow you to make sure you have a good backup before getting the laptop repaired.

You should always have frequent & regular backups.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2021 4:36 PM in response to vasilis52

This usually indicates a problem related to the Touchbar. You will need to get the laptop repaired. Usually it will involve needing to replace the Top Case/Keyboard/Touchbar Assembly and/or the Logic Board, but I have also fixed the problem by replacing the Display Assembly (most likely due to the Camera which is somehow interfering with the Touchbar). Even when the hardware issue is resolved the laptop will need to connect to the Internet in order to download the EmbeddedOS image file.

In the mean time you can boot into Safe Mode to continue using the laptop in a limited fashion until the laptop can be repaired. It will also allow you to make sure you have a good backup before getting the laptop repaired.

You should always have frequent & regular backups.

Sep 14, 2021 6:19 AM in response to HWTech

Replacing the top case is not a acceptable solution. Because something went wrong after a reboot I will not throw away half the laptop and pay $$$ for a new one, it was replaced 6 months ago as part of the keyboard replacement program. I'm looking for some proper technical support, I had a call with the local technical support and they only gave me the same advices that are already available on support pages SMC/NVRAM/Erase Disk, they had no idea about handling logs. Worst case, I will use it with windows without the touchbar/backlit keyboard. I have all the logs files with errors regarding the EmbeddedOS.

Sep 14, 2021 7:10 AM in response to vasilis52

Try reinstalling macOS over top of itself making sure to install all of the latest macOS updates for the OS as well.

Make sure to uninstall any anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, or third party security software by following the developer's instructions since these types of apps are not needed on a Mac and usually causes more problems than they solve plus they impact system performance. There is a chance these types of apps may be preventing macOS from downloading the software from Apple's servers or is preventing macOS from uploading the software to the Touchbar. You will need to boot into Safe Mode to do this.

If none of this works you will need to have the laptop repaired.

Suddenly my Mac decided to brick itself...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.