Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

-1005F error when in recovery mode (MacBook Pro)

I ran into this problem because the wifi chip in my Mac is broken(my diagnosis) and I wanted to reset the Mac to see if it would re-enable the wifi chip. But during the reset process, I could not reinstall macOS through the recovery menu(option + command+ r) due to the Mac not being connected to the internet. The next time when I booted up the Mac device it would go straight to the screen shown below.

I tried all the suggestions that I saw on the community posts below

1) -1005F error when in recovery mode - Apple Community

2) If your Mac doesn't start up all the way – Apple Support (UK)

and it would still come back to the same screen in the picture above.

Finally, the way I was able to solve the problem is connecting the Mac to the router using an ethernet cable and ethernet to thunderbolt adapter for internet connectivity and then starting Mac and immediately holding down the option button to bring up the network menu/startup manager and that finally took me to the recovery menu

From there I tried installing macOS El Capitan but I was running another issue where it said that some packages for the OS install were missing and that issue is solved by using the method in the video below

https://youtu.be/OY6-B2ZXWmk

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on May 3, 2023 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2023 10:21 PM

The error code "-1005F" typically indicates a connectivity issue on Apple devices when trying to use Internet Recovery mode. This error can occur when the device is unable to establish a stable internet connection during the recovery process.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check your internet connection: Make sure your internet connection is stable and strong enough to download the necessary recovery files.

2. Restart your device: Try restarting your device and attempting to enter recovery mode again.

3. Use a wired connection: If possible, connect your device to the internet using a wired Ethernet connection instead of Wi-Fi to improve the stability of the connection.

4. Reset your network settings: You can try resetting your network settings by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will erase all your saved Wi-Fi passwords and other network settings, so you'll need to re-enter them after the reset.

5. Contact Apple Support: If none of the above steps work, you may need to contact Apple Support for further assistance. They can help you diagnose the issue and provide guidance on how to proceed.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2023 10:21 PM in response to myron25

The error code "-1005F" typically indicates a connectivity issue on Apple devices when trying to use Internet Recovery mode. This error can occur when the device is unable to establish a stable internet connection during the recovery process.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check your internet connection: Make sure your internet connection is stable and strong enough to download the necessary recovery files.

2. Restart your device: Try restarting your device and attempting to enter recovery mode again.

3. Use a wired connection: If possible, connect your device to the internet using a wired Ethernet connection instead of Wi-Fi to improve the stability of the connection.

4. Reset your network settings: You can try resetting your network settings by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will erase all your saved Wi-Fi passwords and other network settings, so you'll need to re-enter them after the reset.

5. Contact Apple Support: If none of the above steps work, you may need to contact Apple Support for further assistance. They can help you diagnose the issue and provide guidance on how to proceed.

May 3, 2023 2:49 PM in response to myron25

In Internet Recovery, these low negative thousands error messages indicate that your provided Wi-Fi Network is inadequate in some fashion, and cannot be used (for this purpose) in its current state.

Common problems include:

Hidden Network-name

required use of a proxy server to get Internet access

required use of a login page to get Internet access

Use of a login server or certificate to get Internet access

Use of PPPoE in the Mac to get Internet access (typically only applies to DSL)

Use of Fixed IP address rather than good old DHCP

Variance of the time by more than five minutes

Failure of Router to provide workable DNS server addresses, or providing 0.0.0.0 [may produce -2002f]

If you have an Ethernet port, you may in some cases be able to move your Mac close to the Router and connect to the Router using Ethernet.

The higher the number, the more obscure the problem.

If your battery was completely depleted, the Date&Time could have reverted to the default, which will not work. There is a terminal command to reset to current Internet Date&Time -- post back for assistance.

-1005F error when in recovery mode (MacBook Pro)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.