Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet recovery is not working

I was using two Operating Systems on my MacBook Pro 2019 (15 inch). One was Mac OS and another one was Windows 11 (using bootcamp). Once I was finishing my work on Windows and hit Restart in MacOS but after that the Mac OS never booted. I tried entering to Recovery mode (Command+R) but it doesn't work so I tried internet recovery but when it enters to recovery after a while the globe sign gives me an exclamation sign wit an -1008F error (Sometimes the error is -2003F). I tried reinstalling OS using removable drive (installing Catalina)but when I choose the installation media it automatically enters to internet recovery mode. I tried reseting NVRAM, reseted (or just tried I can't tell if it worked at all) SMC as well, still nothing. After that I booted bootcamp (Windows 11) again and deleted whole disk drive which was dedicated to mac, after that still tried to reinstall Mac OS using Installation Media but still entered to internet Recovery mode so my mac works in that kind of loop. Only boots into boot camp (when I choose it) or enters to internet recovery mode and gives me the errors. What's your experience on that matter? I would be grateful to hear from you.

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 6:05 PM

You have some sort of network issue as indicated by the large negative error code. Try connecting the laptop directly to the router using an Ethernet cable using a USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter for a faster more reliable network connection and to bypass any hard to troubleshoot issues. If you don't have this adapter, then you can try power cycling your router and waiting at least five minutes for the router to finish booting.

How did you create the Catalina removable media? The only reliable way to create a bootable macOS USB installer is by using the instructions in this Apple article which requires access to another compatible Mac from 2012 - 2022 (2012-2019 for Catalina, 2015+ for Big Sur/Monterey):

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

See this article for which versions of macOS are compatible with various Apple hardware:

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

Another option is to attempt to "Revive" the T2 firmware, but more likely you will need to "Restore" the T2 firmware, but this requires access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+ ("Restoring" will destroy all data on this laptop). The article mentions using Internet Recovery Mode, but whenever I have performed the "Restore" procedure the OS was automatically installed and I never noticed it going into Internet Recovery Mode since I think the OS is pushed onto the Mac from the host Mac running Apple Configurator 2 much like happens with an iPhone/iPad.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2022 6:05 PM in response to losgujos

You have some sort of network issue as indicated by the large negative error code. Try connecting the laptop directly to the router using an Ethernet cable using a USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter for a faster more reliable network connection and to bypass any hard to troubleshoot issues. If you don't have this adapter, then you can try power cycling your router and waiting at least five minutes for the router to finish booting.

How did you create the Catalina removable media? The only reliable way to create a bootable macOS USB installer is by using the instructions in this Apple article which requires access to another compatible Mac from 2012 - 2022 (2012-2019 for Catalina, 2015+ for Big Sur/Monterey):

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

See this article for which versions of macOS are compatible with various Apple hardware:

Another option is to attempt to "Revive" the T2 firmware, but more likely you will need to "Restore" the T2 firmware, but this requires access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+ ("Restoring" will destroy all data on this laptop). The article mentions using Internet Recovery Mode, but whenever I have performed the "Restore" procedure the OS was automatically installed and I never noticed it going into Internet Recovery Mode since I think the OS is pushed onto the Mac from the host Mac running Apple Configurator 2 much like happens with an iPhone/iPad.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Jun 29, 2022 5:47 AM in response to losgujos

If you never modified the Startup Security Utility settings before to allow booting from USB drives, then the 2018+ Mac won't be able to boot to USB. Sorry about that, I keep forgetting about the extra security Apple has enabled since our organization disables this feature so I rarely have to deal with it directly.

About Startup Security Utility on a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support

Can you boot into local Recovery Mode using Command + R so you can attempt to modify the Startup Security Utility settings?

If you cannot resolve the network or Internet issues, then you will need to "Restore" the T2 firmware. If you are unable to do this or want to avoid destroying the data on the SSD, then you will need to take the laptop to Apple or an AASP for assistance. Unfortunately no one will be able to assist you with the networking issues since Apple does not provide any details on those error codes or exactly what network configurations/traffic must be configured for Internet Recovery Mode to work.

Jun 29, 2022 6:52 AM in response to HWTech

command + R not working. I already wiped the partition from windows and deleted all data on SSD (as apple said to me). i found guy on youtube who had same problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBp89AqV3jI. he fixed with mac os catalina USB boot up. i tried with Mojave/High Sierra/Catalina/Big Sur/Monterey but still it goes on internet recovery mode. maybe is there version of catalina thats working situations like this?

ps: Unfortunately in my country we dont have apple, so i can't take my mac to them.

Jun 29, 2022 9:32 AM in response to losgujos

Ok, if you erased the entire SSD, then local recovery mode is no longer an option.

If you never configured the laptop to boot from a USB drive, then booting from USB is not an option either unless you can first boot into Internet Recovery Mode in order to configure this setting using the link in my last post.

If you cannot boot into Internet Recovery Mode, then you will need to "Restore" the T2 firmware using the instructions in the Apple article I linked previously, but this will require access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+ (most Macs from 2012 - 2019 with maybe a few from 2020). See this article for identifying which versions of macOS are compatible with various Apple hardware:

You can try taking your laptop to another physical location outside of your home (perhaps even with a different ISP) in order to try Internet Recovery Mode.

Otherwise you will need to figure out your local network issue assuming the problem is with your local network and not with your ISP or the Internet itself. At best I tell you to power cycle your router and to try connecting the laptop directly to the router using an Ethernet Cable and a USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. You can also try resetting your router to factory defaults and leaving the router at factory defaults to see if you can now access Internet Recovery Mode. You may also want to see if your router has any firmware updates available. Once you attempt Internet Recovery Mode (whether it works or fails again), you should make sure to properly configure you router especially by changing the admin password and turning off remote administration access at the very least. It is possible the router you are using is too old or has compatibility issues. Make sure you are using a fast reliable Internet connection because if your Internet connection is not fast & reliable, then Internet Recovery Mode may time out. As you can see it is very hard to provide advice for addressing any home network issues, and this is just scratching the surface of the easy to do items. Of course, if the issue is with your ISP instead, then there probably is nothing you can do about it.

Internet recovery is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.