Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 iMac after update to Monterey from Catalina internal SD card reader not working.

Hi,

I have updated my 2017 iMac from Catalina to Monterey 12.3.1 and the internal SD Card slot has stopped working. SD cards are not visible in the Disk Utility.

I hope there is a way to solve this as I have other things connected to my iMac and there is no more extra slots available.

Thanks!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 16, 2022 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2022 9:16 AM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2022 9:16 AM in response to Tomski01

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

May 16, 2022 10:19 AM in response to Tomski01

If you place the card in the reader after you started up try starting up with the card in the reader. If the other way then startup w/o card inserted and insert card.

Does About this Mac>Overview>System Report>Hardware show an entry for Card Reader?

Have you tried cards that are known to work?

Reset SMC and NVRAM

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

2017 iMac after update to Monterey from Catalina internal SD card reader not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.