Newsroom Update

Today, Apple announced that from 2020 through 2023, the App Store prevented a total of over $7 billion in potentially fraudulent transactions. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WhatsApp notifications not working on Mac

I just started using my macbook pro 14.

When using whatsapp I don't get notifications. I enabled notifications in the app settings.

In macbook system preferences -> notifications&focus whatsapp is not even amongst the apps which is weird because I figured it should be.

I tried to download whatsapp through web and through app store , outcome is still the same.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 16, 2022 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2022 6:40 PM

This issue still persists and is a bug of the latest WhatsApp update. So I thought of using the pervious version of the app and notifications in it just work fine. https://whatsapp-desktop.en.uptodown.com/mac/download/4588528 You can download the previous version from this link.

55 replies

Jun 3, 2022 12:15 AM in response to LukasOsi

had the same issue since a few weeks.. finally resolved.. try this -

1. You must be on v2216.8 I assume if you downloaded directly from the WhatsApp website
  2. Press Cmd+Q to quit the app.
  3. Restart WhatsApp
  4. Now without downloading or updating anything, check version should have automatically changed to 2218.8 (this is what happened for me by itself)
  5. The notifications should now be working!

Jul 19, 2022 7:19 AM in response to LukasOsi

Hi there I had this problem too, but I've fixed it!

Here's how I did it:

1. Download the WhatsApp web app (from the App Store)
  2. Login to your WhatsApp web account (by scanning the code from your phone)
  3. Close the Whatsapp web app on your Mac
  4. Ask a friend to send you a message on WhatsApp
  5. On the top right you'll get a notification saying "configure WhatsApp notifications"
  6. Click that and you can choose your notification settings within system preferences
  7. Now WhatsApp will appear among the apps within system preferences!

This should solve the problem! Hope it helps.

I've struggled with this issue for a long time, and I finally got it to work!

May 16, 2022 12:34 PM in response to LukasOsi

apple_lukas wrote:

I just started using my macbook pro 14.

When using whatsapp I don't get notifications. I enabled notifications in the app settings.

In macbook system preferences -> notifications&focus whatsapp is not even amongst the apps which is weird because I figured it should be.

I tried to download whatsapp through web and through app store , outcome is still the same.

Not all apps are optimized for macOS notifications

May 25, 2022 5:18 AM in response to Mrkabas

Same here. I don't get notifications even on Watch.

It stopped working all of a sudden, and I don't even have Whatsapp notifications option in System Preferences notifications options.

Tried uninstalling iPhone app, uninstalling Desktop app and deleting all related files in ~/Library. I also tried to contact Whatsapp support: they sent me to the article about how to activate the notifications -.-

Seems like a Whatsapp bug to me...

WhatsApp notifications not working on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.