Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When using Mission Control's 'Show Desktop' I can't click on the desktop.

Hello,

I'm unable to use Mission Control's 'Show Desktop' to access files on my desktop (Macbook Pro 16in M1 Max on macOS Monterey 12.1) . When I use the feature, it clears the screen to reveal the desktop, but I cannot actually click anything on the desktop with either my trackpad or an external mouse. I tried to set up a hot corner, but the issue still the same : screen cleared but icons disabled. Clicking on icons does nothing. Can't move it. Can't open it. Icons are there, but frozen.

I opened a new user account (fake admin) and find out that it's working as expected there. Came back on my account, but issue still there.

How to resolve this issue?

Regards,

Marc

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on May 17, 2022 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2022 8:47 AM

Good job troubleshooting with a new account.

Try one more test: restart in Safe Mode, and login to your normal account.

Does it have the same problem in Safe Mode?

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Similar questions

4 replies

May 18, 2022 8:37 AM in response to ma-ham

ma-ham wrote:

Hello,

I'm unable to use Mission Control's 'Show Desktop' to access files on my desktop (Macbook Pro 16in M1 Max on macOS Monterey 12.1) . When I use the feature, it clears the screen to reveal the desktop, but I cannot actually click anything on the desktop with either my trackpad or an external mouse. I tried to set up a hot corner, but the issue still the same : screen cleared but icons disabled. Clicking on icons does nothing. Can't move it. Can't open it. Icons are there, but frozen.

I opened a new user account (fake admin) and find out that it's working as expected there. Came back on my account, but issue still there.

How to resolve this issue?

Regards,
Marc

Verify your software is up to date—

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.4

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/get-macos-updates-mchlpx1065/mac

Update your iPhone - current stable release iOS 15.5

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204204

May 18, 2022 11:19 AM in response to Stevi_S

Hi Stevi_S,

Thank you for following up.

Update :

Firstly, I did a system update to macOS 12.4, then restarted the mac in Safe Mode. Indeed, I found that there's no problem in Safe Mode. Then, I followed the advice of Luis Sequeira1, that is to launch EtreCheck. I took a look at the full report and - surprise! - I discovered a significant problem with an application (which I use to manage a USB3.0-HDMI adapter to a 3rd monitor) called ''DisplayLink Manager 1.6''. I simply turned off the app and, yes, of course, the problem is solved. I should have thought about it and looked first on that side for a possible conflict, but it didn't cross my mind. I'm going to put away that old USB3.0 adapter and run my 3rd monitor with a better suited cable and USB-C connection. Simply.

Thanks again for the follow up, everyone.

Best regards,

Marc

When using Mission Control's 'Show Desktop' I can't click on the desktop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.