Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop not installed - problem

On my new MacBook Air, it looks like my desktop in not installed in the right way, or it is broken.

It is like this since the start, when I started to work with this computer (about 4 weeks ago). Maybe I did something wrong while installing the computer or starting to work with it?

Problems:

• There is no desktop icon in my finder, also not in my iCloud.
  • When I restart the computer, I have the same issue.
  • When I make a screenshot, the picture just disappears and it is saved nowhere. It is also not visible on the desktop.
  • My desktop only shows the icon of my harddisk.
  • I can change the background picture of my desktop, that is working well.
  • When I make a new user, this new user DOES have a desktop.

What is going on here? How can I solve this?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 3:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 1:48 PM

Oh, I found a very simple solution myself.

In the folder of me as a user, there was a file (not a directory) with the name 'desktop', but this file seemed to be weird. I just deleted that file, and manually created a new directory with the name 'Desktop'.

And now it's working!

Weird but true. :-)

6 replies

Aug 11, 2021 4:14 AM in response to EllenApple

When the computer was First Setup - was iCloud Enabled. Check in System Preferences >> Internal Accounts >> on left look for iCloud >> is it listed. If Yes, click on it and inside are all the Options to enable various services like Contacts, Photos etc. If iCloud is Not Listed and one what's iCloud >> on Right see iCloud and click on that. It should enable the iCloud and you choose the Services to be enabled.

Set up iCloud on all your devices

Aug 11, 2021 1:40 PM in response to PRP_53

Yes, iCloud was enabled. When I look into iCloud, I can select 'desktop' to be synced to iCloud. However, there is still no desktop working on my MacBookAir.

I'm also using Dropbox (and syncing my desktop and downloads-folder to Dropbox).

In both iCloud and Dropbox, I do see a 'downloads' folder, but there is no folder 'desktop'.

How can I solve this?

Desktop not installed - problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.