Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't Finder search dropbox?

The finder won't search dropbox. I have re-built 'searchlight' and it makes no difference.

thanks

iMac Pro

Posted on May 18, 2022 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2022 9:07 AM

Fisher_Tom wrote:

The finder won't search dropbox. I have re-built 'searchlight' and it makes no difference.
thanks

For you third party app, have you tried—

search the developers website or contact: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/Update

Search for files and folders in the Dropbox desktop app

Dropbox support for macOS 12.3

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2022 9:07 AM in response to Fisher_Tom

Fisher_Tom wrote:

thanks

For you third party app, have you tried—

search the developers website or contact: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/Update

Search for files and folders in the Dropbox desktop app

Dropbox support for macOS 12.3

May 19, 2022 10:07 PM in response to Fisher_Tom

Are your Dropbox files stored locally on your Mac as well in the Dropbox servers? Or are they only stored online in DropBox, but not physically on the Mac? (Dropbox gives you the option to handle it either way.)

If they are only stored online but not physically on your Mac, Spotlight or searching on your Mac won't find the files, searching on the Mac only finds things that are physically on the Mac.

My Dropbox folders can be searched like any other folder on my Mac, but my files are physically stored locally on the Mac as well as in the Dropbox servers online.

May 20, 2022 5:49 AM in response to steve626

@steve626

thanks for this - yes, the dropbox folder is on my hdd, and appears as a folder in the panel at the left of the finder window. When I do a search from the dropbox folder, it offers the option to search 'this Mac' or 'dropbox', but it will only respond to 'this Mac' - I then get a search of all the hdd, including files in the dropbox folder.

thanks

Tom

Why won't Finder search dropbox?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.