Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone in Camera app doesn’t work fine

Hello, I have a problem with microphones in Camera app. When I record a video (both - front and back camera), it makes horrible crackling sound and my voice can’t be heard. But when I record a voice memo, video in a different app (Instagram), or during calls it works fine! Also, when I turn on Siri, she is listening something even if there is quiet. It appears after the update 15.4.1. After the update 15.5, the issue is still there. Please, can anyone help?

iPhone X, iOS 15

Posted on May 18, 2022 5:53 AM

5 replies

May 19, 2022 6:21 PM in response to simajonas

Thank you for checking that out, sorry the problem remains.

Here';s another article that may help:

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

Also:

Wondering which iPhone X model you have.

If you have the option, does the camera have stereo or mono sound enabled ? ... maybe compare them ?

Change the camera’s video recording settings on iPhone – Apple Support

Says:

Turn stereo recording on and off

On iPhone XS, iPhone XR, and later, iPhone uses multiple microphones to achieve stereo sound.

To turn off stereo recording:

go to Settings  > Camera, then turn off Record Stereo Sound

Something else you might want to check:

If your iPhone is stuck in headphone mode - Apple Support

May 24, 2022 8:29 PM in response to simajonas

Thank you for your reply, simajonas.

Sorry that I don't know what causes the sound issues to be there at times, and not at others.

To rule out, reduce, or overcome possible issues caused by wireless interference, see Apple support's article below:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Re: Is it possible, that dust is in there and this makes the crackling sound?

See: About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support

May 24, 2022 3:40 AM in response to brbo

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, nothing seems to help. I have iPhone X, so I don’t have the option “stereo sound” in Camera settings.

Wondering if it can be due to network intereference? Because some of the videos made with front camera are terrible, but some of them are fine with no extra sound. I already tried reset network setting, nothing happened. Should I try total phone reset?

Also, I have tried to clean my microphone really gently. Is it possible, that dust is in there and this makes the crackling sound?

Microphone in Camera app doesn’t work fine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.