Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover deleted messages from imessage?

The latest iphone update deleted my iphone8 imessages. The settings on my phone have always been set to keep messages forever and it still is. I do not use the cloud. I've tried the airplane mode suggestion. Turning the imessage on and off again. I've even done a hard reboot. Nothing has restored my messages. My messages are synched to my ipad and are still there as I haven't downloaded the latest ios. Is there a way I can get my imessages back? This is absolutely infuriating and frustrating.

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on May 18, 2022 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2022 6:21 PM

Your messages are saved on your iPhone backup (since you said you don’t use iCloud Messages). Restore that backup to retrieve the messages that were present when the backup was created.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

The fact they were deleted may well indicate you are out of iPhone storage. Check Settings > General > iPhone Storage and be certain you never have less than 6GB free.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2022 6:21 PM in response to imbatman1

Your messages are saved on your iPhone backup (since you said you don’t use iCloud Messages). Restore that backup to retrieve the messages that were present when the backup was created.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

The fact they were deleted may well indicate you are out of iPhone storage. Check Settings > General > iPhone Storage and be certain you never have less than 6GB free.

May 18, 2022 6:31 PM in response to sberman

I don't have a recent backup on my computer cause my computer is super old unfortunately. Last back up was done years ago cause why anticipate a software update arbitrarily deleting something it shouldn't. My phone has 30GB free. It's not a GB issue.

I appreciate you reaching out with a possible solution though. Sadly this one won't work. Would uploading my data from the ipad to the cloud and then downloading to the iphone work?

How to recover deleted messages from imessage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.