Related Article: If you can't add a card to Apple Wallet to use with Apple Pay

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay/Apple Wallet app - Every card I try to add says “Card Not Added - Contact your card issuer for more information”

Please keep in mind I have been using Apple Pay/Apple Wallet app for a long time. This started happening after I recently upgraded from 12 Pro Max to 13 Pro Max. I did a Transfer Directly to iPhone method when switching my files over to my new phone.

Ever since then, my Apple Wallet app has refused to add any card. I’ve even tried to add the same EXACT CARD to my girlfriend’s iPhone and voila it works and asks for a code from my number. But when I add it to my wallet, after entering my details it says “Card Not Added - Please contact card issuer for more information.” I’ve tried on my iPad as well which was also recently upgraded and method of transfer was the same - Transfer Directly to New iPad”. I also had this issue on my iPad.

I’ve tried signing out and signing back in. I’ve also tried to reset completely and complete wipe. Nothing works. What else can I do?

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on May 18, 2022 11:54 PM

11 replies

May 21, 2022 6:44 AM in response to johnvreyes

I have searched the whole internet and this is something that might give Apple some hints Apple Pay - Could not add card, contact c… - Apple Community. I got my phone back in October 2021 and everything was fine but as soon as my phone automatically updated itself to the latest version of iOS all these issues started appearing. At this point I dont think we can do anything, Apple says its not their fault and my banks say there is nothing they can do

May 20, 2022 2:12 PM in response to Sean_B1

Hi Sean_B1,

The article was absolutely no help to my issue and I have went ahead and contacted my card issuers all of which say there is no request being attempted on their end. I believe this is an issue on Apple’s end because I’ve tried multiple banks including my personal debit card and business debit cards from Wells Fargo, Bank of America, and even Discover, First Premier Bank, CapitalOne. All give me the same error which is what I described above. I went ahead and tried on my girlfriend’s phone which is under her Apple ID and it allows me to add literally every card that I tried adding in my phone.

May 20, 2022 2:18 PM in response to johnvreyes

With that alert being provided for this issue, the only option is to contact the card issuer for help.

They might see a security alert or some option to help you add this card to your device, as stated in the help article: "If you see the message "Could Not Add Card" or "Invalid Card," contact your bank or card issuer."

Thanks.

May 21, 2022 6:23 AM in response to Eric--F

That can’t be accurate at all. This must be a bug in the new iOS versions past 15.4.1 caused during “Transfer Directly to New Phone” option. If you are really recommending that the problem lies with not one but all 7 of my card issuers there must be something completely off as once it gets to this point I’d assume it’s on my iPhone’s end and not all 7 of my card issuers especially since it works perfectly fine as normal on my girlfriend’s phone.

May 21, 2022 6:27 AM in response to siyavash.4812

This is ridiculous, I read that Apple Pay was having issues recently on Apple server side and that they fixed it but I think they may have completely missed a bug that may or may not affect a smaller group of people. The issue they said they fixed was with Mastercard not allowing users to add card to their Apple Pay which they said they fixed. It’s been almost 3 weeks and I’m having this issue. I’ve even wiped my phone clean 3 times and redownloaded my iCloud backup, I also tried to reset and start as fresh device, I’ve tried on my iPad too. They all give me the same issue so this must be something with my Apple ID or something caused by transferring my data to my new devices via direct bluetooth because that’s what I did at first on both iPad and iPhone which I am having the problem on.

May 21, 2022 8:00 AM in response to johnvreyes

Just wanted to update everyone:

I’ve spoke to my bank and they have confirmed that there is nothing they see on their end that’s even being attempted to approve an Apple Wallet request but when I tried on my girlfriend’s phone, again it worked fine and they did see that request. After exhausting all troubleshooting options on my bank’s end, they confidently inferred that this issue lies on Apple’s end. Keep in mind that I am not only having this issue with my one bank but this is happening with ANY bank/financial institution that I try to add to my Apple Wallet for use with Apple Pay - not Apple Cash.

I went ahead and called Apple Support and explained my issue to which I had already expected the rep reiterated that the issue was with my bank and recommended I had to call my bank. I stated that I had already done that and both my bank and I confidently inferred that the it is highly unlikely that the issue lies with all 12 of my banks/credit cards and that I’d have to call each and every one of them and that it is more likely this is in fact on Apple’s end. She then referred me to an Apple Supervisor immediately. The Apple Supervisor troubleshooted with me, gathered my information, and asked me questions which she agreed with me and we have now opened an escalation to Apple Technicians who will review this in the next 2 days who she said has access to everything on the backend.

For anyone else having this issue, I will give back an update in 2 days following my call regarding this issue.

I am on iOS 15.5 and this issue started while I was on iOS 15.4.1 which also carried over to my iPad on iPadOS 15.4.1.

May 24, 2022 3:51 PM in response to mbmatti1988

Something weird that happened when I was testing my cards was that if I signed out of my iCloud account and signed back in, it would ask me to re enter my 3 digit security code for the card and it kept saying something is wrong (contact card issuer or card information is incorrect) so I’m 100% sure it’s something to do with apple but they are not giving a single **** about this issue

Apple Pay/Apple Wallet app - Every card I try to add says “Card Not Added - Contact your card issuer for more information”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.