Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Air 13” 2017 shuts down unexpectedly when battery is more than half charged. Then indicates needs charging.

After computer shuts down and then gives indication needs charge showing empty battery. I then plug computer to charger. The computer boots up and shows charge where left off which is usually 50 percent or more. Don’t think I’ve ever used it past 50 percent battery usage due to this issue. How do you fix this issue not sure if it’s a battery issue or a system issue? When I pull up system report it shows battery as condition as normal with a cycle count of 226.

Posted on May 19, 2022 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 10:42 AM

Also try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Unfortunately the diagnostics don't detect all battery failures. In fact some battery failures can be difficult to detect or confirm. Most likely you do have a bad battery so you may want to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop since their service diagnostics may be able to better detect a battery failure (the service diagnostics also don't detect all failures, but they tend to detect a bit more than the standard consumer diagnostic). I would insist they also run the Cooling Diagnostic if the default MRI test they run does not reveal any issues (Apple doesn't like to run more than the MRI though), but the Cooling Diagnostic has on occasion detected a battery issue when the MRI did not.

Also make sure the laptop is not scheduled to shutdown.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2022 10:42 AM in response to DeeMac7

Also try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Unfortunately the diagnostics don't detect all battery failures. In fact some battery failures can be difficult to detect or confirm. Most likely you do have a bad battery so you may want to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop since their service diagnostics may be able to better detect a battery failure (the service diagnostics also don't detect all failures, but they tend to detect a bit more than the standard consumer diagnostic). I would insist they also run the Cooling Diagnostic if the default MRI test they run does not reveal any issues (Apple doesn't like to run more than the MRI though), but the Cooling Diagnostic has on occasion detected a battery issue when the MRI did not.

Also make sure the laptop is not scheduled to shutdown.

Jun 18, 2022 6:58 PM in response to DeeMac7

I ended up replacing the battery with a new one. Purchased a new battery from eBay. After I installed the new battery and cycled the battery, the problem went away. It was a faulty battery. New battery has breathed new life into my MacBook Air 13” 2017. On a busy day I charge laptop once a day. Not so busy days, I may charge once in to or three days.

My MacBook Air 13” 2017 shuts down unexpectedly when battery is more than half charged. Then indicates needs charging.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.