You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my computer is asking for a pass code for encrypted backup

My computer says my backups are encrypted, I don't ever remember checking the encryption box or setting up a password.

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on May 19, 2022 1:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2022 4:04 PM

I don't remember ever encrypting the back up and no password I could think of worked, you can try multiple times. Previous backups as shown in the file on iTunes system were not backed up. That said you have to reset your iPhone, you won't lose contacts or messages or emails but you will have to reset some functions, sounds screen etc. You will lose all previous backups so backup your phone on your computer right away.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 20, 2022 4:04 PM in response to sberman

I don't remember ever encrypting the back up and no password I could think of worked, you can try multiple times. Previous backups as shown in the file on iTunes system were not backed up. That said you have to reset your iPhone, you won't lose contacts or messages or emails but you will have to reset some functions, sounds screen etc. You will lose all previous backups so backup your phone on your computer right away.

my computer is asking for a pass code for encrypted backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.