Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it good to use cleanmymac x with my iMac?

Is this a good program to use on my imac? There web site says it is notorized by Apple, what does that mean

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 19, 2022 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2022 4:25 PM

I wholeheartly agree with my cousin, jeffreythefrog. CMM does more harm than good. First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is desshoigned solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

If in the future you notices any unusual performance issues it's wise to boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac , then reboot normally and see if the problem perisists.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2022 4:25 PM in response to socrbob40

I wholeheartly agree with my cousin, jeffreythefrog. CMM does more harm than good. First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is desshoigned solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

If in the future you notices any unusual performance issues it's wise to boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac , then reboot normally and see if the problem perisists.

May 19, 2022 4:01 PM in response to socrbob40

clean my mac is complete garbage. it is known to cause serious issues within macOS. many serious problems posted here are solved by uninstalling that junkware. you should avoid it like a swarm of bees.

if you are concerned with keeping your mac safe and clean, i'll recommend reading Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community. it's a long article, but it's worth your time to read every word.

May 19, 2022 4:46 PM in response to socrbob40

socrbob40 wrote:

Is this a good program to use on my imac? There web site says it is notorized by Apple, what does that mean

notarized by Apple means nothing—other then the fact the developer jumped all the hoops to distribute through the App Store. There is no guarantee to the efficacy of the sales pitch.

There is a lot of garbage in the App Store like anywhere else....

CMMx it is one of the worst and will cause issues on your Mac. They do have a very robust marketing strategy and a strong wallet vac.

Everybody makes money on the deal when you buy it—developers fees payed to Apple to just get into the Apple Store, CMM makes money if you buy it, Apple gets their hefty cut of the sale, tech support makes money on helping you get your Mac back to fully functional. It is a win win for everybody but you.

It is all about $$ not if it is a good app or not... caveat emptor.

Is it good to use cleanmymac x with my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.