Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backup to Existing Encrypted APFS Drive

I have an external drive that is formatted as APFS (Case-sensitive, Encrypted) that I currently use to back up photos and store some media. I would like to enable time machine to back-up to this volume. If I try to enable time machine with "Encrypt Backups" checked, it tells me it needs to erase the device in order to enable encryption. If I uncheck "Encrypt Backups" it tells me it needs to erase the device in order to disable encryption. This feels to me like a bug in the time machine backup setup, because I can't see why an existing encrypted drive shouldn't be usable as a time machine backup drive as long as it is properly formatted. Is there any way around this or will I need to erase the drive to use it as desired?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on May 20, 2022 2:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2022 7:43 AM

TM wants to use the entire APFS volume for its business. If your external drive only has a single volume, you may need to use Disk Utility to create another APFS volume on the drive to dedicate to TM. The process is quick, and your current volume and data within will not be compromised.

Please see > Types of disks you can use with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

"Note: The entire APFS volume is reserved for Time Machine backups. If you want to store files other than the Time Machine backup on the same physical device, use Disk Utility to create an additional APFS volume on the disk. The two volumes then share the available space."

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2022 7:43 AM in response to barbourkd

TM wants to use the entire APFS volume for its business. If your external drive only has a single volume, you may need to use Disk Utility to create another APFS volume on the drive to dedicate to TM. The process is quick, and your current volume and data within will not be compromised.

Please see > Types of disks you can use with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

"Note: The entire APFS volume is reserved for Time Machine backups. If you want to store files other than the Time Machine backup on the same physical device, use Disk Utility to create an additional APFS volume on the disk. The two volumes then share the available space."

Time Machine Backup to Existing Encrypted APFS Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.