Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to backup encrypted external hdd to time machine external disk

Scenario

I have a external disk on my mac formatted

Source Drive

Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted)

I have a time machine backup (which is encrypted but fine)

As the Destination

The document folder is mounted on login essentially (stored credentials)

When i setup time machine to backup the source drive is on the exclude list and greyed out and won't let me back it up?

Please tell me that I can't have an encrypted source if i want to back it up ?

Is there any solution to this ?

Cheers

Stew

Posted on Jun 2, 2019 1:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2019 8:48 AM

Went back and had a look and just in case someone else has the same problem. Looks like timemachine was getting confused because both mounts (source and destination) had the same name.

The source mount name and the backup mount name was the same and timemachine was treating them as the same destination (even though they weren't) easy fix i just changed the name of one of them and it worked.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2019 8:48 AM in response to Stew999

Went back and had a look and just in case someone else has the same problem. Looks like timemachine was getting confused because both mounts (source and destination) had the same name.

The source mount name and the backup mount name was the same and timemachine was treating them as the same destination (even though they weren't) easy fix i just changed the name of one of them and it worked.

How to backup encrypted external hdd to time machine external disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.