Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extreme slow network after reboot or wake-up of MacOS 12.x

Dear iMac community,

I wonder if others experienced the same behaviour on MacOS - for me it started with MacOS 11 Big Sur and continues/worsens with MacOS 12 Monterey (iMac 2019, Intel 6-Core i5, 3.7 GHz) .

I notice repeatedly that, after a reboot or after waking up from sleep, MacOS network can take up to 30 (thirty) minutes (MINUTES, not seconds!) before internet access stabilises and web pages start loading in Safari/Chrome/Brave/Edge, mails start coming in, etc.

The system has a wired ethernet connection. Network status in System Preferences looks good, Ethernet has highest service order of all networks on Mac.

On other devices in the network, network speed is normal during that period.

Processes like "Safari Networking" or "update_dyld_sim_shared_cache" are at the top in the Activity Monitor during this period of slow network performance.

After this frustrating period, network performance becomes normal - but that it takes so long is hard to understand and accept.

Any hints on what is happening during that period and can anyone recommend what to do to find the root cause of the issue?

Posted on May 20, 2022 7:14 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 20, 2022 7:56 AM in response to FrankVO

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps is the order that have been presents  and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

Extreme slow network after reboot or wake-up of MacOS 12.x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.