You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to Shut Down computer properly after doing a recent software update

A couple of days ago, I did a software update that apple sent me...an update that also included an update for Safari. After doing the update, I have not been able to shut down my computer properly. After clicking on Shut Down, it does a partial shut down by taking the side bars off but my computer never shuts off completely. Pressing the turnoff button behind the monitor does not work either....I have to land out turning off the computer...turning off the power source. I hate doing this because I know it's not the proper way to Shut Down. FYI = Getting back on the computer is not problem, I turn on the power source, press the on button behind the monitor and it comes up.

And by the way, Apple keeps notifying me of software updates for my iMac but many times nothing will come up when I select it...the computer searches and searches and searches but nothing comes up?

And another on going problem I have had for a long time is = I have the box checked marked for doing automatic overnight software updates but this never ever happens on this iMac...I always have to land out doing the software updates myself....I have an iMac 21.5 inch, mid 2014...macOS Big Sur, version 11.6.5.

Help would greatly be appreciated, Thanks!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 20, 2022 10:52 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 6, 2022 9:28 AM in response to PeppermintPatty3

Here are a couple things to try.

1) Try resetting the NVRAM. The NVRAM is a special memory section on your Mac that stores data that persists even when the Mac is shut off, such as volume settings and screen resolution - it's the information the computer uses to maintain settings after a reboot. You may have to do this several times because sometimes that's what it takes to stick. Hold the keys on startup until you hear the Mac chime three or four times, then release.

Reset the NVRAM

How to Reset NVRAM / PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

2) If rebooting or resetting NVRAM doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode disables loading third-party drivers, forces the OS to do disk repair, clear certain caches and logs and other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

Jun 5, 2022 11:36 PM in response to Mal-S

I have tried shutting down my computer by holding the on/off button, yes this works but when I restart it, it won't shut down property again, just restarts itself. this problem was initially after one of your updates. You need to fix this. I can not afford to get a technician to come in. Also I have tried force shutdown on the apple logo. it will shut down everything except finder. why is this so.

Not able to Shut Down computer properly after doing a recent software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.