Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac not shutting down

I imagine I'm having problems with shutting down because my iMac is late 2013 hence vintage and I cannot upgrade past Catalina. However, the computer is in perfect order in all other ways, and fast! I have tried closing all apps before I close down but it makes no difference. I have to use the power button most nights.

The machine recently had a complete cleanse and reinstall of Catalina and, as I said, works like a new machine except for this. I am very tidy with my computer.

If there is no fix, would it be best to leave the computer on all the time, letting it go into sleep mode overnight?

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 11:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 8:49 AM

Hello, mulberrywriter!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you have issue shutting down your iMac. We recommend taking a look at this article with steps to follow for How to use safe mode on your Mac. This will perform checks and stop certain software from starting up automatically. Once you are in safe mode, test to see if you have the same issue.

You should check out this article for How to reset the SMC of your Mac to see if the issue is power related.

Keep us posted and stay safe!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2021 8:49 AM in response to mulberrywriter

Hello, mulberrywriter!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you have issue shutting down your iMac. We recommend taking a look at this article with steps to follow for How to use safe mode on your Mac. This will perform checks and stop certain software from starting up automatically. Once you are in safe mode, test to see if you have the same issue.

You should check out this article for How to reset the SMC of your Mac to see if the issue is power related.

Keep us posted and stay safe!

Sep 25, 2021 2:20 PM in response to mulberrywriter

Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

iMac not shutting down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.