Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac shutting itself down from sleep mode

My iMac, late 2013, running Mojave 10.14.4, has started shutting itself down when I put it in sleep mode. When I power it back up, it says "You shut your computer down because of a problem" which is not the case. Can anyone help? Thank

Posted on May 23, 2019 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2019 11:53 AM

When I power it back up, it says "You shut your computer down because of a problem" which is not the case.

But there is a problem or it wouldn't be shutting down. Boot into Safe Mode, put into sleep mode and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing.

If the problem persists download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2019 11:53 AM in response to lark3719

When I power it back up, it says "You shut your computer down because of a problem" which is not the case.

But there is a problem or it wouldn't be shutting down. Boot into Safe Mode, put into sleep mode and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing.

If the problem persists download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

iMac shutting itself down from sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.