Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find string in Library to get to scanner folder.

Just recently upgraded to Big Sur (11.5.2) from High Sierra (10.13). Big mistake. Now I can't use my CanoScan 9000F scanner. I'm trying some possible solutions offered by the community. But I can't get to my scanner folder in Library because the string Library/Image Capture/Devices, etc., etc. doesn't seem to exist. In other words, after getting into Library, there appears to be no subfile called Image or Image Capture for me to go to and continue with the string. Am I in the right Library? I'm trying to get to a scanner file which indicates I do nor have permission so I can change that.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on May 20, 2022 11:51 AM

6 replies

May 20, 2022 7:42 PM in response to VikingOSX

According to one user, it is possible. This is his method.

cpaulPHL

User level:

Level 1

(19 points)

Jan 31, 2021 7:57 AM in response to Down in Desert

If you go to Canon's website, you need to download three things to get your 9000F working with macOS Big Sur:

• ICA Driver 4.1.4a (select "macOS High Sierra 10.13" from the dropdown)
  • 9000F Scanner Driver Ver.16.1.0b (Mac) - also under High Sierra 10.13
  • IJ Scan Utility Lite Ver.3.3.0 (Mac) ... go to a newer multifunction like the Canon TR8520 and download from the Software tab

Has anyone verified this? Does it work? I tried this but I kept getting a message from Apple downloads stating that the 9000F Scanner Utility Driver Ver.16.1.0b could not be downloading because it could not be verified that this file was not corrupted. Yet I tried downloading right off the Canon customer support site.

My option now is to revert back to MacOS10.13. Vue Scan Professional sounds very interesting but it is also very expensive for the full package.

May 20, 2022 12:19 PM in response to Ray Tomusiak

Apple's Image Capture utility is in your /Applications folder from the Finder sidebar. That CanoScan 9000F scanner is old enough that its driver is likely 32-bit and useless on Big Sur which only supports 64-bit applications and device drivers. Looking on the Canon USA site, there have been no scanner drivers released for macOS Catalina or later, so you will likely need a third-party scanner software solution.

To that end, the paid, 64-bit VueScan Professional application does support the CanoScan 9000F without any Canon Drivers necessary. There is a free trial, and it is not subscription-ware.

I have owned VueScan Professional since 2010 when I needed support for what was then an already abandoned Canon flatbed scanner. That scanner still works with the current version of VueScan Professional on both macOS 11.6.6 and macOS 12.4. I have never paid for a VueScan update in 12 years, and receive no benefit from the vendor for mentioning their product here.

May 20, 2022 7:29 PM in response to Barney-15E

Yes, thanks for this. I was looking on the user Library and not the main Library. I had a lot of problems finding the main Library as it is not quite in the same locale as when I was on Mac OS 10.13 prior to this upgrade. Needless to say, when I finally located the scanner file, and put in the permissions to read and write via Get Info, the message was still 'don't have permission to open, consult your administrator' (I am the administrator!!). Go figure!

Can't find string in Library to get to scanner folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.