Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difficulty logging in to new Apple TV account

I love Ted Lasso and wanted to share it, and the glories of Apple TV content with my girlfriend. I set up a new Apple ID on her Windows 11 laptop. All seemed fine. Used the web browser to go to Apple TV, entered the Apple ID and password and it gives me the message:

"Before you can sign in on the web, first sign in to the Apple TV app on your iPhone or iPad. On a computer, sign in to Apple TV or iTunes."

So I open a new tab in the browser, go to the Apple TV website, click sign in, enter the creds, and get the same message. It just takes me in a circle. I keep thinking I MUST be missing something. It just can't be that hard. Any thoughts?

(FWIW, I have the same issue trying to log in to her account on my MacBook as well!)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted on May 20, 2022 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2022 8:16 PM

For Windows notebooks, please get the iTunes application, even if only for account management. (This application isn’t suitable for watching Apple TV+ content, that still needs to happen in the browser.)

Verify that the account information is complete. Verify that the account has a validated email address (respond to test message). Verify that the account has a valid payment method.

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

If you see a message that you need to sign in to iTunes
If you created a new Apple ID on the web and see a message that you need to sign in to iTunes, follow the steps below for your device: 
• On an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Open Settings, then tap "Sign into device" and sign in with your Apple ID.
• On a Mac: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then select Apple ID and sign in with your Apple ID
• On an Apple TV: Sign in to the App Store, iTunes Store, or Apple Music with your Apple ID. 
• On a PC: Sign in to iTunes with your Apple ID.
• On an Android device: Sign in to Apple Music on Android with your Apple ID.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2022 8:16 PM in response to thomasfromkirkland

For Windows notebooks, please get the iTunes application, even if only for account management. (This application isn’t suitable for watching Apple TV+ content, that still needs to happen in the browser.)

Verify that the account information is complete. Verify that the account has a validated email address (respond to test message). Verify that the account has a valid payment method.

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

If you see a message that you need to sign in to iTunes
If you created a new Apple ID on the web and see a message that you need to sign in to iTunes, follow the steps below for your device: 
• On an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Open Settings, then tap "Sign into device" and sign in with your Apple ID.
• On a Mac: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then select Apple ID and sign in with your Apple ID
• On an Apple TV: Sign in to the App Store, iTunes Store, or Apple Music with your Apple ID. 
• On a PC: Sign in to iTunes with your Apple ID.
• On an Android device: Sign in to Apple Music on Android with your Apple ID.

Difficulty logging in to new Apple TV account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.