Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringers off but it still rings like it’s on

I don’t understand why my phone is still ringing even with my ringer set to silent. I’ve tried to fix it and so far no chances of anything working. Will I need to get my phone diagnosed?

Posted on May 20, 2022 11:58 PM

1 reply

May 22, 2022 8:01 AM in response to Rae_04

Hi Rae_04,

We'll be happy to see if we can help determine why your iPhone rings even though you have the Silent switch on. It sounds like the option Emergency Bypass may be enabled, so let's take a look.

The article Use Focus on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support can help you see if Emergency Bypass is on. The first section will help you get to

Allow Time Sensitive notifications
When you first set up a Focus, you can turn on Time Sensitive Notifications to allow people and apps to notify you immediately, even when you have a Focus turned on. Here's how:
1. Go to Settings > Focus.
2. Select the Focus, then tap Apps under Allowed Notifications.
3. Turn on Time Sensitive.
iPhone screen showing how to enable Emergency Bypass 
You can also allow certain contacts to reach you in the event of an emergency, even when you have a Focus set up. Here's how: 
1. Open Contacts and select a contact.
2. Tap Edit, tap Ringtone or Text Tone, then turn on Emergency Bypass.
3. Tap Done.

This may help resolve the issue with calls ringing with Silent mode on. If not, reach back out and let us know which iPhone you have, the iOS version found in Settings > General > About.

Have a great day!

Ringers off but it still rings like it’s on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.