Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get rid of iCloud?

icloud suddenly gathered up everything on my desktop and put them in several folders, now I can't find anything. How do I get it out of my material permanently?

Mac mini, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 21, 2022 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2022 7:48 AM

You are using stack feature Use desktop stacks on Mac - Apple Support

To disable it click on view > click on use stacks ( the right check mark should not appear ) .

For several folders created on desktop , you can drag and drop files inside it , open finder > Desktops > untitled folder drag and drop Drag and drop items on Mac - Apple Support to another location or delete them Delete files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

Read Organise files in folders on Mac - Apple Support

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2022 7:48 AM in response to jhudgina

You are using stack feature Use desktop stacks on Mac - Apple Support

To disable it click on view > click on use stacks ( the right check mark should not appear ) .

For several folders created on desktop , you can drag and drop files inside it , open finder > Desktops > untitled folder drag and drop Drag and drop items on Mac - Apple Support to another location or delete them Delete files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

Read Organise files in folders on Mac - Apple Support

May 21, 2022 6:07 AM in response to jhudgina

Not sure what you mean by iCloud "gathered up everything" and "put them in several folders." If you enabled iCloud desktop and documents, your desktop and documents will sync to iCloud. If you subsequently turn that off, your files will be in your iCloud Drive folder until you move those wherever you want.

May 27, 2022 7:52 AM in response to tygb

Thanks tygb. It looks like iCloud has disappeared and I'm safe!!! But, among the many things that happened with this disaster of about 3 weeks ago, years of my work disappeared. Now, some Pages' documents are still demanding a password where one never existed...and others are not, but opening automatically. How can I get back what I can' t afford to lose?

Really appreciate your help.

May 28, 2022 8:28 AM in response to muguy

Thanks, I've been doing this, a daily grind. But: 'Comments,' my daily document of 700+ pages, 2 are there, named with dates, 1)Sept 4 - 7 Feb 2019, and 2)2019, both demanding a password. And, even so, there are none of the years in between. Yet, I've opened two new Pages' docs and using them daily, no password, but had to reset my defaults, and still doing that, as so much has been interfered with I have start again.

How do I get rid of iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.