Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My screen is blank

I restored my Mac lap top and now the screen is blank.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 21, 2022 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2022 11:36 AM

Check your brightness controls - F1, F2, I think.

Also, Try resetting the NVRAM. The NVRAM is a special memory section on your Mac that stores data that persists even when the Mac is shut off, such as volume settings and screen resolution - it's the information the computer uses to maintain settings after a reboot. You may have to do this several times because sometimes that's what it takes to stick. Hold the keys Option-Command-P-R down at restart until you hear the startup chime 3 or 4 times, then release.

Reset the NVRAM > How to Reset NVRAM / PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If rebooting and/or resetting NVRAM doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode disables loading third-party drivers, forces the OS to do disk repair, clear certain caches and logs and other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2022 11:36 AM in response to Genesis01

Check your brightness controls - F1, F2, I think.

Also, Try resetting the NVRAM. The NVRAM is a special memory section on your Mac that stores data that persists even when the Mac is shut off, such as volume settings and screen resolution - it's the information the computer uses to maintain settings after a reboot. You may have to do this several times because sometimes that's what it takes to stick. Hold the keys Option-Command-P-R down at restart until you hear the startup chime 3 or 4 times, then release.

Reset the NVRAM > How to Reset NVRAM / PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If rebooting and/or resetting NVRAM doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode disables loading third-party drivers, forces the OS to do disk repair, clear certain caches and logs and other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

My screen is blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.