Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to Monterey: missing "important content"

I have a Macbook 2016 and I currently operate High Sierra OS. I want to upgrade to Monterey but I am told "Installation requires downloading important content. That content can't be downloaded at this time. Try again later". I have no idea what is missing! (I have over 100 GB free space, by the way).

Can anyone advise? What do I need to do?

MacBook Pro 15″, 10.13

Posted on May 22, 2022 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2022 2:44 AM

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install.  For Best results use Safari to commence the download as Others may not work.

Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Store where the download can commence.

Computer Qualify for the Monterey upgrade

macOS Big Sur 11 hardware requirements

macOS Catalina 10.15 hardware requirements

macOS Mojave 10.14 hardware requirements

Caution - jumping over all the newer versions and directly to Big Sur  / Monterey on Qualifying computers is Technically possible - there are those who have attempted and were successful.

Then there are those who attempted and had less than good results.

If this is a Production or Mission Critical Set-up - a more prudent and measure approach is suggested

The above is from observations on the Apple Support Community Forums and IMHO

Tips Big Sir Upgrade Released Nov 2020

Tips Monterey Upgrade  Released Oct 25, 2021

Make Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Notation - Mojave is the Last version to support 32 bit applications / extensions and Drivers. Catalina, Big Sur & Monterey supports only 64 bit and there is no workaround.

Suggest using Go64 to find 32 bit application before attempting the upGrade. Some or many of the Application already installed may required update or upGrades to 64 Bit Versions.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2022 2:44 AM in response to JAandEL

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install.  For Best results use Safari to commence the download as Others may not work.

Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Store where the download can commence.

Computer Qualify for the Monterey upgrade

macOS Big Sur 11 hardware requirements

macOS Catalina 10.15 hardware requirements

macOS Mojave 10.14 hardware requirements

Caution - jumping over all the newer versions and directly to Big Sur  / Monterey on Qualifying computers is Technically possible - there are those who have attempted and were successful.

Then there are those who attempted and had less than good results.

If this is a Production or Mission Critical Set-up - a more prudent and measure approach is suggested

The above is from observations on the Apple Support Community Forums and IMHO

Tips Big Sir Upgrade Released Nov 2020

Tips Monterey Upgrade  Released Oct 25, 2021

Make Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Notation - Mojave is the Last version to support 32 bit applications / extensions and Drivers. Catalina, Big Sur & Monterey supports only 64 bit and there is no workaround.

Suggest using Go64 to find 32 bit application before attempting the upGrade. Some or many of the Application already installed may required update or upGrades to 64 Bit Versions.

May 22, 2022 7:39 AM in response to JAandEL

High Sierra macOS 10.13 Supports Applications in both 32 Bit and 64 Bit. as does Mojave macOS 10.14.

Apple has made it Known some years ago, starting in Catalina macOS 10.15 and every version thereafter, ALL Applications , extensions and Drivers Must be written with 64 Bit Binaries.

If you install Catalina macOS 10.15 or newer and the computer has ANY 32 Bit anything still installed when Catalina is Installed - ALL the 32 Bit whatever will not work - period.

May 23, 2022 10:24 AM in response to JAandEL

User wrote " Thank you, again! If I have understood correctly, you are saying that I need to upgrade all software programs to 64 bit before I try installing any OS upgrade? Is this what Go64 does?"

A - No. The Application called Go64 only identifies Applications ( Not drivers or extensions " that are 32 bit

User wrote " And you are telling me that because I am using OS 10.13.6 High Sierra I will still be able to use them prior to upgrading the OS?"

A - Yes as long as the computer is running High Sierra macOS 10.13 or if upgrading to Mojave macOS 10.14 - the old 32 bit applications should still work

User wrote " I do apologise for asking what may seem uninformed questions, but I am an artist, not a computer expert. It is essential that I upgrade my OS because my existing Photoshop no longer works, and my current OS is too old for the online (new) versions that Adobe now supplies. I have been using a very old Microsoft Office as well. "

A - It is best to ask every possible question before attempting an upGrade to a newer version of macOS this computer Qualifies to run. Easier to plan before upGrading than having to put the toothpaste back in the tube. Humour here 😃

User wrote " I still don't really understand why I was told ""Installation requires downloading important content. That content can't be downloaded at this time. Try again later ".

A - This is a tough one and will not speculate. From what I have seen and very often times related to below

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

Notation: Disabling the AV Software may or may not solve the issue. Removal of the AV Software may increase the chances of the download to perform as expected.

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses or corruption of the download 

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

User wrote " Should I try doing some kind of intermediate upgrade in the first instance? And if so, which OS would you recommend? I would try to upgrade programs to 64 bit first as you suggested. "

A - If this is a " Mission Critical " or " Production " computer setup - the Gradual upgrade process may serve this machine better than jumping from High Sierra directly to Big Sur or Monterey. Remember, High Sierra was released in 2017 - 5 ears ago and much has changed in that timeframe including Hardware Demands with each newer version of macOS.

A - Presently, both Big Sur macOS 11 and Monterey macOS 12 are basically light years ahead of High Sierra. With that in mind, Big Sur and Monterey both seem to be tailored to SSD Drives and at least 8 GB RAM where 16 GB RAM is even better.

You are welcome

Do come back to the Apple Support Communities ( ASC )  in the future, if / or when additional questions may arise

May 23, 2022 9:58 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you, again! If I have understood correctly, you are saying that I need to upgrade all software programs to 64 bit before I try installing any OS upgrade? Is this what Go64 does?

And you are telling me that because I am using OS 10.13.6 High Sierra I will still be able to use them prior to upgrading the OS?

I do apologise for asking what may seem uninformed questions, but I am an artist, not a computer expert. It is essential that I upgrade my OS because my existing Photoshop no longer works, and my current OS is too old for the online (new) versions that Adobe now supplies. I have been using a very old Microsoft Office as well.

I am trying to make sure that I don't screw up and get left with redundant, unusable programs, but also can access Photoshop.

I still don't really understand why I was told ""Installation requires downloading important content. That content can't be downloaded at this time. Try again later".

Should I try doing some kind of intermediate upgrade in the first instance? And if so, which OS would you recommend? I would try to upgrade programs to 64 bit first as you suggested.

I am so very far from being a tech kid - this is all horribly daunting and worrying for me... I really do appreciate your help and advice and patience!

May 24, 2022 1:32 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you once again. You wrote that "The Application called Go64 only identifies Applications ( Not drivers or extensions ) that are 32 bit ".

This leads to the following questions:

1) Once the 32 bit applications are identified, how do I actually upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit?

2) How can I tell what drivers and extensions are 32 bit, and how would I upgrade them (if one can do so) to 64 bit? I am of course worried that by upgrading to 64 bit my printer and scanner drivers may stop working! That would be a wildly expensive problem to fix, if I accidentally make all my hardware devices obsolete!

It sounds like the gradual upgrade will be safer once I have sorted out all the applications/driver issues of changing to 64 bit. Presumably I should start with Mojave?

Unfortunately, I think that you may have to talk me through both the preparatory stages and upgrades a little bit more fully. Not just what needs to be done, but the detail of how to do it.

Thanking you again in advance!

May 24, 2022 2:33 AM in response to JAandEL

This leads to the following questions:

1) Once the 32 bit applications are identified, how do I actually upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit?

A - You will have to check with the developers of these applications and verify if they have Applications specifically identified as Catalina and Above compatibilities. If the ultimate goal is to upgrade to Monterey - the the requirements are Monterey Compatible.

2) How can I tell what drivers and extensions are 32 bit, and how would I upgrade them (if one can do so) to 64 bit? I am of course worried that by upgrading to 64 bit my printer and scanner drivers may stop working! That would be a wildly expensive problem to fix, if I accidentally make all my hardware devices obsolete!

A - That too like for normal applications in above point. Developer verifications. Depending the the Age of the Scanner or Printers, some Developers may or may not offer 64 Bit Drivers at all.

It sounds like the gradual upgrade will be safer once I have sorted out all the applications/driver issues of changing to 64 bit. Presumably I should start with Mojave?

A - The measure approach is usually better for both computer and the user ( you ) of this machine. It will offer the chance to iron out issues if they appear more easily than have a Major Mess by jumping for High Sierra directly to say Big Sur or Monterey.

Unfortunately, I think that you may have to talk me through both the preparatory stages and upgrades a little bit more fully. Not just what needs to be done, but the detail of how to do it.

A - When one is prepared for the upgrade to whatever newer version - Yes am available as are many More Learned Colleagues

Thanking you again in advance!

Upgrade to Monterey: missing "important content"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.