Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what do you do when migration assistant freezes mid transfer?

I have a new (2022) Macbook Pro and am using Migration Assistant to move info from an old Macbook Pro to my new laptop. It has slowed to a crawl and in fact seems to have frozen. What do I do?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 22, 2022 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2022 7:16 AM

Tympgirl wrote:

I have a new (2022) Macbook Pro and am using Migration Assistant to move info from an old Macbook Pro to my new laptop. It has slowed to a crawl and in fact seems to have frozen. What do I do?

Wait it out...(?)

A cable connection is always preferred compared to WiFi.

If you are stuck— abort and try from one of your other backups from the old machine.

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2022 7:16 AM in response to Tympgirl

Tympgirl wrote:

Wait it out...(?)

A cable connection is always preferred compared to WiFi.

If you are stuck— abort and try from one of your other backups from the old machine.

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

what do you do when migration assistant freezes mid transfer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.