Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is someone besides the authorized owner able to set a guided access password and in essence lock the owner out of an apple device? The device password does not work or override a guided access password. All of the control buttons do not work.

Why is someone besides the authorized owner able to set a guided access password and in essence lock the owner out of an apple device? 

The device password does not work or override a guided access password. All of the control buttons do not work. You cannot even reboot the device with a guided access password. 

It seems this is a huge security flaw allowing someone to set a password and lock the owner out of an apple device.

I contacted apple support and their only suggestion was to let the battery run down and then recharge/reboot the device and that should clear out the guided access lockout.

Also, this lockout prevents an iphone from calling 911 or any emergency contact. It renders the device useless for emergency purposes.

That is a catastrophic concern.

Please let me know if there is a resolution or work around to this flaw. 

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 22, 2022 10:07 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 22, 2022 3:46 PM in response to TxGoodTimes

Handing anyone an unlocked device is a disaster, if they’re inclined to start deleting, re-setting settings, corrupting, spamming, accessing plaintext passwords, or whatever else they’re inclined to do.

I’ve cleaned up some of these; when somebody lent their iPhone or iPad to an agent of chaos.

Recovery from some cases of the corruptions that the chaos agents’ activities can involve restoring from backup, though some damage cannot be undone.

And password resets.

But by all means, please do log some feedback with Apple about this, as they may or may not see your posting here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Why is someone besides the authorized owner able to set a guided access password and in essence lock the owner out of an apple device? The device password does not work or override a guided access password. All of the control buttons do not work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.