Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to ungroup Airplay speakers

Can someone explain why my 2 HomePods are grouped together with another Airplay receiver (called Veranda Boom) in the Airplay menu in iOS?

They are not in the same room and have nothing to do with each other. The 2 HomePods are grouped as a stereo pair and connected to my ATV. But the third Airplay receiver is not.

Besides the small annoyance that I need to tap the little arrow to select and stream to that specific Airplay receiver, I’ve also noticed that this receiver often is included as audio output for my ATV. Which is beyond annoying.

I need the Airplay receiver to be completely independent, similar to the Bedroom ATV in the screenshot.

Any suggestions?

closed submenu

open submenu

Posted on May 22, 2022 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2022 11:20 PM

Try pressing on the grouped set to see if you can separate them. At some point you might have played to them as a group and they are using last played. I find it annoying as well because it was never like this. You can separate them on the Apple TV Menu by clicking the side arrow on the left of the grouped speakers.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2022 11:20 PM in response to bartfrommontgomery

Try pressing on the grouped set to see if you can separate them. At some point you might have played to them as a group and they are using last played. I find it annoying as well because it was never like this. You can separate them on the Apple TV Menu by clicking the side arrow on the left of the grouped speakers.

May 27, 2022 2:58 PM in response to bartfrommontgomery

Yes it was changed. Used to be able to swipe down on Apple TV to Audio settings. Now you press the TV button on the remote to bring up the AirPlay menu.

Best thing you can do is reset ATV AirPlay & restart your ATV

In this order:

• On your ATV in Settings - User Accounts - iCloud- sign out
  • Restart ATV
  • Once it’s restarted, sign back in & set up AirPlay & HomeKit again. You will need your unlocked iPhone to be close by to hold near it. It takes a few minutes to transfer iCloud settings & be sure to select the same room for Apple TV as the HomePods & you can choose those HomePods as the Default Audio. Don’t choose this speaker you don’t want in it as the temporary one. Then play something to see if it’s working. Do the same with the bedroom ATV & before you start all this:
  • update all software on iPhone, HomePods & ATVs

May 27, 2022 10:57 AM in response to Vancouver22

Yes. But you have to do this every single time :-(

furthermore, something weird is going on where the third Airplay receiver gets somehow selected as audio output on the ATV, together with my stereo HomePods. I don’t want this.

I think you used to be able to change this easily while playing a video. But the only way to revert this now in tvOS 15 is by going to Settings. Every single time. Very frustrating.

How to ungroup Airplay speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.