Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't install properly, gives a rather cryptic error message.

I am trying to install iTunes on my Windows 7 PC, so I can sync my iPod touch. However, when I go to install it, it takes a while on "Publishing product information" and eventually gives me this cryptic error message:

"An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT,type="win32",version="8.0.50727.6195",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86". Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x8007054F"

I've done some research and it seems to be a .NET-related error. However, none of the suggested fixes work: I've tried updating Windows, uninstalling and reinstalling .NET 4.5, ran "sfc /scannow", nothing works. I've also tried separately installing .NET, only to get the same error message. Anything helps, thanks.

Posted on May 22, 2022 12:29 PM

7 replies

May 22, 2022 2:18 PM in response to SKCro

The message "An error occurred during installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT, type="win32", version="8.0.50727.6195", publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b", processorArchitecture=..." may occur because a particular library file is not included in the distribution package supplied with iTunes or won't install for some unspecified reason. Installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update before attempting to reinstall iTunes may help.

There are three files to choose from so you need to select the one that matches the processor architecture of your system, which should be noted in the error message.

• vcredist_x86.EXE - 32-bit systems <<< You want this one.
  • vcredist_IA64.EXE - Itanium processors
  • vcredist_x64.EXE - other 64-bit systems

When reinstalling iTunes right-click on the installer and run as administrator.

See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for further advice if required.

tt2

May 23, 2022 1:51 AM in response to SKCro

Try the Microsoft troubleshooter at Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed.

It is worth noting that Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, nor is Apple supporting it for new versions of iTunes. It really is time to move on. Depending on your hardware you may be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, provided you don't have other software dependencies to consider.

tt2

May 23, 2022 7:51 AM in response to turingtest2

I can't update to Windows 10 because I still have a hard disk drive. I used 10 on this PC in the past and it was unbearable because it was constantly using the disk, all the time. Windows 7 is much more usable. Also, I'm using an older version of iTunes that should work with 7 (version 12.6.3.6, to be exact). I'm not sure what the heck is going on. Other people with similar issues say to reinstall Windows, and I don't want to do that (I literally just installed 7 a few months ago!) Is there anything else that could help solve this? Thank you.

iTunes won't install properly, gives a rather cryptic error message.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.