Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone not working in my macbookpro 2016

The internal microphone is detected by the system but it does not detect any sound, do you know if I have to clean it somewhere, or how to repair this problem?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 22, 2022 8:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2022 8:22 PM

Franbravo Said:

"Microphone not working in my macbookpro 2016: The internal microphone is detected by the system but it does not detect any sound, do you know if I have to clean it somewhere, or how to repair this problem?"

-------

Troubleshoot the Mac Microphone:

What to Try:

• Unmute the App:

If an app has its own audio input settings, then perform the on the app itself.

• Remove External Devices:

Verify what your output item is.

• Disable Bluetooth:

If there are any microphones nearby, then they may be getting in the way via bluetooth.

See if an app is permitted to use your microphone.

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Sound) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. (Applies to Anted-Based Macs Only)

• Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with certain settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

• Create a New Administrator:

See if creating and logging in as a new administrator does the trick. There may be something misconfigured in your current user - something that is getting in the way. Go to: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Unlock > Click: "+" > Create the new administrator

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2022 8:22 PM in response to Franbravo

Franbravo Said:

"Microphone not working in my macbookpro 2016: The internal microphone is detected by the system but it does not detect any sound, do you know if I have to clean it somewhere, or how to repair this problem?"

-------

Troubleshoot the Mac Microphone:

What to Try:

• Unmute the App:

If an app has its own audio input settings, then perform the on the app itself.

• Remove External Devices:

Verify what your output item is.

• Disable Bluetooth:

If there are any microphones nearby, then they may be getting in the way via bluetooth.

See if an app is permitted to use your microphone.

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Sound) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. (Applies to Anted-Based Macs Only)

• Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with certain settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

• Create a New Administrator:

See if creating and logging in as a new administrator does the trick. There may be something misconfigured in your current user - something that is getting in the way. Go to: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Unlock > Click: "+" > Create the new administrator

Microphone not working in my macbookpro 2016

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.