Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook can send airdrop but not receive from any device.

I can airdrop stuff from my MacBook to several iPhones. however, when trying to airdrop to my MacBook, it gets stuck on waiting. I've made sure that the bluetooth is on, the firewall settings are right, set to receive from anyone... I even started in safe mode and it still didn't work. I don't understand why. I read that I should reinstall Mac OS. but I don't want to have to reinstall Mac OS and lose everything and have to start over with basically a brand new machine. what can I check or do to try to get it to receive airdrops? because this is ridiculous.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 22, 2022 10:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2022 2:45 PM

I finally got the issue resolved after working with apple support for a while. we ran through several different things (resetting SMC, creating a test user account) but what finally worked was running first aid in recovery mode. super relieved that the issue is fixed and very pleased with Mac support on helping me.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2022 2:45 PM in response to the_third_libra

I finally got the issue resolved after working with apple support for a while. we ran through several different things (resetting SMC, creating a test user account) but what finally worked was running first aid in recovery mode. super relieved that the issue is fixed and very pleased with Mac support on helping me.

May 24, 2022 7:20 AM in response to the_third_libra

Hello the_third_libra,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We see you have some questions about using AirDrop with your Mac, and we'd like to help. The following link may be able to help with how to Use AirDrop on your Mac with the section "If you can't see the other device in AirDrop".

If you still have issues, please Contact Apple Support.

Regards.

May 24, 2022 2:08 PM in response to the_third_libra

the_third_libra wrote:

that’s the thing. it’s a 2021 macbook and up to date as far as i know. i’m pretty sure it did airdrop before so it isn’t a problem that was always there. i mean, if i can’t get it working i’ll just use google drive as a workaround, i just don’t want to have to bc airdrop is supposed to be a convenient feature and advantage of using max products in tandem . just annoying. and i’m not going to completely reinstall os and wipe everything for a feature that may still not work after that.

Airdrop can be finicky —sometimes it works sometimes is does not, for no rhyme or reason . Try on a different day and compare your results.

Verify both macOS and iOS are current and up to date.

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.4

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Update your iPhone - current stable release iOS 15.5

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Airdrop not working—

Use Airdrop on your Mac

Use AirDrop on your Mac - Apple Support

How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204144

ref:

Macbook sends via Airdrop but will not re… - Apple Community

Airdrop Requirements and some Troubleshooting

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203106

Airdrop - Using

How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

AirDrop, here are some fixes

https://www.imore.com/how-to-fix-airdrop-iphone-ipad

You can use file sharing as an alternative

Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

May 24, 2022 12:39 PM in response to babowa

that’s the thing. it’s a 2021 macbook and up to date as far as i know. i’m pretty sure it did airdrop before so it isn’t a problem that was always there. i mean, if i can’t get it working i’ll just use google drive as a workaround, i just don’t want to have to bc airdrop is supposed to be a convenient feature and advantage of using max products in tandem . just annoying. and i’m not going to completely reinstall os and wipe everything for a feature that may still not work after that.

MacBook can send airdrop but not receive from any device.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.