Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook sends via Airdrop but will not receive

I can send a photo from Photos on my MacBook to my iPhone.

But when I send a Photo from my iPhone to my MacBook, I see my MacBook and click it, and now Airdrop on iPhone says "waiting". But nothing happens on my MacBook.

Yes, I have read Use AirDrop on your Mac, and I have made sure the firewall will allow airdrop. Airdrop on the MacBook is discoverable by everyone.

???

MacBook

Posted on May 8, 2022 9:10 AM

5 replies

May 8, 2022 9:44 AM in response to tahm77

tahm77 wrote:

I can send a photo from Photos on my MacBook to my iPhone.

But when I send a Photo from my iPhone to my MacBook, I see my MacBook and click it, and now Airdrop on iPhone says "waiting". But nothing happens on my MacBook.

Yes, I have read Use AirDrop on your Mac, and I have made sure the firewall will allow airdrop. Airdrop on the MacBook is discoverable by everyone.

???

Airdrop can be finicky —sometimes it works sometimes is does not, for no rhyme or reason . Try on a different day and compare your results.

Verify both macOS and iOS are current and up to date.

Use AirDrop on your Mac - Apple Support

How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

May 8, 2022 8:36 PM in response to leroydouglas

Finicky!!! SO finicky. I was completing the bug report application and repeating the airdrop in both directions when I heard a bing to tell me the file was received by the MacBook. Ie, it's working. Several times in a row! What has changed in the meantime? Earlier I quit Photos, ejected that drive, sent emails, the MacBook slept, and that's about it. I even reconnected my photo drive and restarted Photos, and airdrop still works.

May 8, 2022 9:03 PM in response to tahm77

tahm77 wrote:

Finicky!!! SO finicky. I was completing the bug report application and repeating the airdrop in both directions when I heard a bing to tell me the file was received by the MacBook. Ie, it's working. Several times in a row! What has changed in the meantime? Earlier I quit Photos, ejected that drive, sent emails, the MacBook slept, and that's about it. I even reconnected my photo drive and restarted Photos, and airdrop still works.

Right— perfect testimonial supporting my thesis above...

Macbook sends via Airdrop but will not receive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.