Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Pages, is it possible to check only spelling, without checking grammar?

As a novelist, I make frequent use of dialogue. I try to write so it sounds as close to the way people speak English in real life. Often, people will not speak using correct grammar. For example:

"Hi, girls," said John. "What did you think of the show?"

"'Loved it," Betty replied.

"'Could have been shorter," said Julie.

The first line of dialogue is grammatically correct. The second and third lines open with sentence fragments. Using correct grammar, Betty would have said, "I loved it," while Julie would have said, "It could have been shorter." I use an apostrophe to denote where the fragment occurs in each case.

This is but one example of the kind of "error" Pages grammar check will pick up. This kind of "error" and several other similar types occur so frequently in a 90,000-word novel that it makes no sense to use the grammar check feature. Instead, I rely on my own native knowledge of the language. Otherwise, it would take me days to check the entire document for the few actual grammatical errors I might find in it.

Though my spelling is excellent, typos happen. So, the spell check feature would be useful after my final draft is complete, to pick up any mistakes I might have missed while editing. Unfortunately, I cannot find a way to turn off the grammar check feature while I check for spelling errors. So, again, it would take days to sift through everything to find a few spelling mistakes.

Have I missed something, or is it impossible to use the spell check feature independent of the grammar check feature?

I have checked the support page titled Check spelling in Pages in Mac but could not find the answer to my question.

Thank you.

Posted on May 22, 2022 11:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2022 1:13 AM

In the Edit menu of Pages 11.2 Spelling and Grammar has these choices:

Click the checkmark beside Check Grammar with Spelling to turn that feature off.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

2 replies

In Pages, is it possible to check only spelling, without checking grammar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.