Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrade to Monterey 12.4 image metadata not showing if file on external HDD

Before 12.4, in Finder with Column or Gallery view you would see key information about an image e.g. filename, size, colour space and colour profile, dimensions, content create date, create date and modified date and camera .

This was so useful, especially for checking image dimensions on export from LrC.

Now all I see is filename, size, create date and modified date.

I've looked high and low for some changed settings to no avail.

What I have noticed is that if the image is on the internal SSD you still see the metadata just as before.

But if it's on an external drive (HDD in my case) the metadata is no longer displayed.

With an image on an external HDD, if you select Preview Options, all the ticked fields suddenly show in the preview pane - but with no data. When you close the Preview Options pane, those fields vanish.

If you copy a file from external HDD to internal SSD, all the metadata will display properly (as selected in the Preview Options pane).

Anyone else having the same issue?

Posted on May 23, 2022 2:40 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

May 23, 2022 3:32 AM in response to ku4hx

I think you are confusing the Preview app with the Preview Pane (if in Column view, the column that appears when you click on any file and shows a thumbnail with metadata listed below it).

So yes, if I open the image in the Preview app I can then open the Inspector and I can see the same thing as you.

What I cannot see is the metadata in the Preview Pane IF the file is on an external HDD.

I can still see the metadata in the Preview Pane IF the file is on the internal SSD.

I can also still see the metadata if the file is on an exFAT formatted USB stick.

After upgrade to Monterey 12.4 image metadata not showing if file on external HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.