Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having to disconnect all connections To except HDMI when booting to see anything

I recently set a macmini 2018 to run a Monitor through HDMI and and an extended monitor through SVGA. The HDMI is plugged directly into the Mini. The SVGA goes into a Hub through Thunderbolt 3 (USBC). Here is the issue I am having. When I shut the mini down. Come back later and start up. I have to unplug everything but the HDMI monitor to get a monitor to show up. I can then plug everything back in once it has booted up and works fine. I have had Macs since 1985 or so. This is the first one I have ever had an issue like this with. Any ideas?

Posted on May 23, 2022 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 6:49 AM

What other inputs does the old Dell offer?

You could try,

1. a different USB-C to VGA adapter.
  2. a USB-C to DVI adapter if the monitor supports DVI.
  3. a USB-C to HDMI adapter if the monitor supports HDMI.

However it might be best to just replace that old analog monitor with a newer digital display, instead of wasting more money on old analog adapters and cables.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2022 6:49 AM in response to macmikeal

What other inputs does the old Dell offer?

You could try,

1. a different USB-C to VGA adapter.
  2. a USB-C to DVI adapter if the monitor supports DVI.
  3. a USB-C to HDMI adapter if the monitor supports HDMI.

However it might be best to just replace that old analog monitor with a newer digital display, instead of wasting more money on old analog adapters and cables.

Having to disconnect all connections To except HDMI when booting to see anything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.