Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage is freezing on M1 Max Macbook Pro

iMessage is freezing my mac when typing a message. It does it very often (Around 1-2 times every 5 messages). I've searched around and tried deleting my .plist files as well as signing out of iMessage on my mac and back in.

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this issue but it's making iMessage almost unusable. Has been like this since I got my MacBook pro earlier this year.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Serial Number]

Posted on May 23, 2022 9:53 AM

9 replies

May 23, 2022 12:10 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you and satcomer for the tips.

I used Malwarebytes to "quarantine" the spigot trojan and Advanced Mac Cleaner. Not sure what "quarantine" means but I hope they're gone for good. I cleaned up any plugins and apps that were unrecognized. I also deleted ones that were no longer of use to me. I ran a full disk access check with Etrecheck again and generated the following report.

Jul 7, 2022 11:24 AM in response to JPY22

You now hold the current world record for the most (likely useless) junk installed on your Mac. You also disable Apple’s built-in security.

There was likely no reason to install malwarebytes (adding to the cruft) as EtreCheck can remove some malware.

With the myriad system modifications you have installed, it’s a wonder the Mac even runs.

Go through everything marked as Extensions, Launch Agents and Daemons to decide if you really need them. Uninstall everything you don’t use following the developer’s instructions.

Jul 7, 2022 9:29 PM in response to JPY22

as well as my mac firewall. Here is the latest EtreCheckPro report.

The app firewall is almost useless if you are behind a NAT router. Its only useful if you must have many sharing services enabled and you need to use a public network. Then, turning on the Firewall is easier than disabling all the sharing services.

Nothing you have installed stands out as something that has any effect on Messages, but I couldn't find everything you have installed. Since it is happening while typing, Logitech is a possibility, but it usually just kernel panics. I can't imagine it being the problem if it only happens for one app.

iMessage is freezing on M1 Max Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.