You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Safari believe every search is a url?

Two quirks of Safari, while not life-changing, do bug me, and make me wonder why such unnecessary obstacles occur...

First is that if I wish to search on a subject, item, quote, anything, I can't just type something in the search window and hit enter, as it will always act as if I had entered a url instead of words depicting what I want to search, and so it will bring up an error page, with % in-between most of the words I entered, & telling me that website doesn't exist! HUH???

I have to put something in the window, pause a second or two, until the blue"search with Google" appears, and only then, can I hit enter, to continue with the search! This has never happened with any other browser, but Safari, Why is this going on, and how can I stop it?

Not only that, but if I've copied the terms I want to search, and try to paste it back in (after clearing the window), often it will only offer "Paste & Search", which will obviously bring up the same error window! I have to sometimes click on the window several times, before it offers the options to both "Paste & Search" & just to "Paste", after which I can wait the couple seconds for the "search with Google" to appear, and finally do the actual search.

The other oddity, is when I try to open a new tab. I click on the + sign, and half the time, a new tab opens, the other half of the time, I see a list of "recently closed tabs", which is great, but I clicked the plus sign to open a new one, not one that I've recently closed. If I wanted to do that, I'd have just hit History, where I'd find the list of recently closed tabs. Why this redundancy & inconsistency??

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 23, 2022 11:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 23, 2022 5:51 PM

First is that if I wish to search on a subject, item, quote, anything, I can't just type something in the search window and hit enter, as it will always act as if I had entered a url instead of words depicting what I want to search, and so it will bring up an error page, with % in-between most of the words I entered, & telling me that website doesn't exist!

The cause of that behavior is usually a Safari add-on or extension — ad blockers, that sort of thing. If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn't working as expected - Apple Support has some suggestions.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 23, 2022 5:51 PM in response to Saxman

First is that if I wish to search on a subject, item, quote, anything, I can't just type something in the search window and hit enter, as it will always act as if I had entered a url instead of words depicting what I want to search, and so it will bring up an error page, with % in-between most of the words I entered, & telling me that website doesn't exist!

The cause of that behavior is usually a Safari add-on or extension — ad blockers, that sort of thing. If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn't working as expected - Apple Support has some suggestions.

May 24, 2022 1:26 PM in response to John Galt

I just can't imagine how an extension or add-on would affect it's search function, or opening a new tab, especially when it works half the time. Seems that if it were a faulty add-on, it would more consistently malfunction.

And speaking of add-ons, I've been told, countless times, to get rid of any memory cleaning apps, as the Apple memory management system works just fine. However, when my Mac gets all bogged down, typing gets very lagging and barely functioning, pages open slowly, and often with elements missing, and everything feels underwater, if I open a memory cleaner app, and run it, it often frees up 10 to 15 GBs of RAM, and my machine works more like it should. If it's so unneeded, even harmful, why does it seem to do what Apple's memory management can't seem to do?

Why does Safari believe every search is a url?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.